Chapter 3

CLARK’S POV

“Are you certain you can close this deal, Mr. Barameda?”  I asked the man in front of me without looking at him.  I’m busy examining these new proposals that one of our biggest client provided.  This case is making such a big fuss especially now that the media is getting involved.  Hindi kontrolado ng Genesis ang media.  We can only manipulate them at some degree but that’s all.  When it comes to the authority, I can handle it.  Well, more of, I should handle it since dealing with them is within my field of expertise.

“Of course.  Don’t worry too much, Clark.  I’ve been in this field for 13 years now.  Why don’t you relax and enjoy the day with my beautiful daughter?” I snorted at that.  Here we go again.

“Nathalie and I were over, Mr. Barameda.  You should really stop forcing the two of us together because that’s not happening.  Excuse me.” I stood up ang exited his office.  He is one of our best employees here in Buenaventura Enterprise and he so happened to be Nathalie’s father.  That woman is her father’s puppet.  He want her to end up with me, that’s why I can’t easily shake her off but I had enough of their crap.  I’m already busy as it is.  Managing and taking care of Buenaventura Hospitals, Buenaventura Enterprise, and Genesis is not an easy task, at all.  I’m just thankful that Nathalie stopped bothering me since last week.  She’s a smart woman so she must’ve figured out that I don’t give a shit about her anymore.  We tried making our relationship work but we failed and that’s it for me.  Bakit naman namin ipagpipilitan kung ayaw talaga?

Pumunta muna ako sa cafeteria para kumuha ng makakain bago ako dumiretso sa opisina ko.  Nang malapit na ako, may nakita akong nakatayo sa labas ng pinto ng opisina ko.  Tinignan ko kung sino yun and I can’t help but sigh in frustration.  Are you kidding me?  Nakita niya na ako at agad siyang lumapit sakin.

“Hi Clark.” She chirped.  Agad niyang ipinulupot ang mga kamay niya sa braso ko.

“Hello Nathalie.” I answered monotonously and I untangled her hands from me.

“My Dad said you wanted to see me so, here I am.”

“And you actually believed him?”

“After not seeing you for one whole week, I thought you missed me so, yeah, I believed him.”

“That one week was the most peaceful week of my entire life.  Stop acting stupid and innocent because we both know you are far from that, Nathalie.”

“Clark, can we try making this work one more time?”

“For hell’s sake, Nathalie!  Ano bang gusto mong gawin ko para maintindihan mo na tapos na tayo?”

“We can always start fresh.”

“Stop it.  Don’t bring yourself too low, Nathalie.  We both know you deserve better.”

“Clark-” I stepped closer to her at hinawakan ko ang magkabila niyang pisngi.

“Listen to me, Nat.  I know you’re only doing this because of your father.  For once, just once, do what you want to do and not what your father wants you to.  This is your life, not his.  We tried but it didn’t work.  You’re a good woman but all I can offer you is friendship, nothing more, nothing less, just friends.  You’re the smartest among your friends.  I know you understand me.” Tears are threatening to spill out of her eyes.  God, not the water works.  Bago pa man pumatak ang mga luha niya, niyakap ko na siya.  We just stayed like that for a few minutes.  She just cried.  As much as she pesters me, she’s still a woman and women deserve to be treated in the right way pero may mga pagkakataon talagang hindi yun maiiwasan.  Naging masaya rin naman ako nung mga oras na kami pang dalawa pero may katapusan ang lahat ng bagay.  We reached that end already.  Kumalas na siya sa pagkakayakap and smiled at me.  A genuine smile.