[7] Companion

"Aren't you going to say anything?" the younger suddenly blurted, cheeks immediately turning red and covering his mouth with his hand after realizing his error. "I mean, umm......., your Highness," he stuttered.

It was so cute. Taehyung wanted to gather him in his arms and never let go, it was so adorable, like a baby bunny.

However, he managed to maintain somewhat of a cool-headed demeanor in front of his quickly developing crush.

"Ah, no need to bother Mr. Jeon. We are not in court right now. Call me Taehyung," he said with a chuckle. "Would you mind if I called you Jungkook?"

Jungkook looked in shock, managing to get out the words, "You know my name?"

Tae gave him a large grin.

"OF COURSE!!!" he said enthusiastically. "You're like my favorite artist ever. I love your stroke work," Taehyung said slyly, smirking as he plopped on the ground, leaning against Jungkook's leg.

The younger thought he had finally gathered himself together when his mind went haywire as the prince's back touched his entire left leg. The sudden contact and surprising affectionate nature of Taehyung was enough to make anyone lose their mind.

He took a few deep breaths, regained his usual calm manner, and smiled down at the prince warmly.

"Thank you. I didn't know I had a fan," Jungkook said, picking up his brush once again, to continue his work. "Which of my portraits is your favorite?"

"Oh don't get me wrong, your portraits are great," Tae said, snuggling closer to the painter's leg to get more comfortable as he continued to explain, "but I prefer the landscapes in your gallery. That one of the lake with the sunset was really gorgeous."

Jungkook was dazed, and a little taken aback.

"You know my landscapes???"

"Yeah! That's how I knew your name. Those are the only paintings in there with a first name signed on them. They were so good I suggested to dad that you should do some for the palace!" Tae said, looking up at the painter to gauge his reaction.

His reaction was priceless.

Taehyung could almost see the thoughts racing across Jungkook's head, processing all of this new information.

To his surprise, the artist quickly lost that dazed look and gazed back down to him, their eyes meeting and Taehyung lost his breath again.

God his smile was breathtaking.

Quite literally.

"I cannot thank you enough then. I needed to get out of that place," Jungkook said, surprising Tae with a tone of relief in his voice, "My new step brothers are so LOUD and this is finally a place where I can have my quiet back again."

Taehyung's heart fell.

Oh.

"I.... I can leave if that's what you want," Taehyung said, leaving the obvious disappointment in his response, looking at Jungkook with sad eyes.

"No, no of course not," Jungkook reassured, putting his free hand on Tae's shoulder for a brief moment. "Your presence is oddly soothing. It could be your voice too. It's nice," Jungkook quickly said, blushing at his forwardness as he jerked his hand away, covering his cheeks.

They had a tendency to turn pink much too often.

To Jungkook's surprise, Taehyung jumped up swiftly and started to run back inside.

Jungkook's brain started to panic, believing he had done something wrong.

Maybe Tae sensed this, as he turned around and yelled, "I'LL BE BACK. I'M GETTING MY BOOK AND A PILLOW!" letting out a grin before he dashed inside.

When Taehyung returned with said book and pillow, he rested the pillow against the tree next to Jungkook (with a good view of the painter) and opened his book, pretending to read.

He could see Jungkook's muscles relax in his uncovered forearm as he continued to paint, brow furrowing occasionally to ponder his work.

It was so hot.

(The weather and the artist)

The shade kept both of them cool, however, and they sat like this, in comfortable silence for hours.

Taehyung thought that he was smart for pretending to be reading, stealing glances at the painter.

Jungkook did not miss the fact that Taehyung read the same page for 40 minutes at one point, but ignored it, as he did not mind that the prince was distracted by him.

It started to become dark, and the stars were bright, but not bright enough to show the beauty of the garden.

Jungkook began to pack his things for the day and head home, to the dismay of Taehyung.

"You'll be back tomorrow, right?" the elder inquired.

"Every day for the next month or so," Jungkook replied, mentally savoring the way Taehyung looked at the moment.

Moonlight suited him well.

So did the grin that lit up his face soon after.

"Perfect. See you tomorrow!" Taehyung blurted, dashing back to the palace.

There was something else Jungkook did not miss.

Taehyung was skipping back to the castle.