[14] Unwelcome

He didn't know why, but he knew that she was aware of his interaction with the prince.

Perhaps it was the below freezing temperature of the stare from her lifeless eyes that gave her away.

Or maybe it was the fact he could see her nails digging into her palm, making noticeable indents in her skin as she sent a simultaneously icy and fiery glare at the purple mark Taehyung had left.

It sent chills down his spine, making him concerned for the safety of his new-found love, as he had no idea the reason she would have been so opposed to the idea.

Perhaps he was overthinking it, and his father's departure to teach art in the kingdom EXO was stressing her out.

However, when she spoke again, clearly through clenched teeth, he knew he was the object of her anger.

"I hear your work at the palace is almost complete. I would hate for you to be distracted by some palace whore...." she mused, slowly pacing towards Jungkook.

"I..... umm... it's nothing really. Just a bruise," he weakly offered, rubbing his neck, knowing she would see right through him. He swallowed hard, not sure of why he was so intimidated by this woman.

"Ah, I see. Then I will send Taeyong and Mark with you tomorrow to make sure you stay safe," she said definitively, clapping her hands together as she smirked, strutting out of the studio leaving Jungkook with his previously ravished mouth hung open.

"close that mouth dear, we don't want you catching a cold," she called, off to relay her decision to her sons.

Jungkook was snapped out of his trance as he heard this forceful woman making her way up the stairs, and chased after her calling, "That's really not necessary, I will be fine, I really only have one more day and---"

"You will take them with you," she angrily whirled around to face him, eyes burning and terrifying.

"It will be good practice for Taeyong to know the area so he may more easily locate and woo this prince," she clapped her hands giddily, internally gauging her step-son's reaction.

He did not disappoint her, momentarily cracking to show a horrified expression before returning to his controlled state.

"Of course. I would be happy to have their company on my last day," He claimed through gritting teeth, to the delight of his step-mother.

As she walked away, he turned and ran back to the solace of his studio, slightly panicking and tugging his hands through his hair, reminding him of the pleasure of that afternoon's activities.

God, he thought, what will Tae think.

The following day, Jungkook reluctantly made his way to the palace with his two step-brothers in tow, one of which seemed to have purposely dressed to reveal his muscular arms and prominent collarbones.

Taeyong made Jungkook want to roll his eyes continuously, as he was clearly aware of his beauty, which in turn made him all the more repulsive.

Mark on the other hand, seemed enamored with the whole palace, excitedly jabbering in Taeyong's arrogant ear. Jungkook couldn't help but think that Mark wouldn't be so bad if he didn't comply to Taeyong's every wish.

He began to set up his work as usual, and anticipated Taehyung's entrance to the hallway with a growing pit of despair. It was going to be their last full day completely alone before Tae's birthday, as Jungkook would no longer have an excuse to return to the palace.

He heard whistling that he could only identify as Tae becoming louder, as he began to sing, "Jungkook-ah, what shall we do toda-"

His gleeful tune came to an immediate halt as he entered the hallway, his eyes meeting Jungkook's sad ones as his mind registered the two extra males in the hallway he wanted to himself.

Taeyong lifted an eyebrow, feigning shock of the prince's familiarity with the artist, his mouth forming a small 'o' as he glanced between the painter and royal.

He caught the small 'sorry' mouthed silently from Jungkook to Taehyung and had to refrain from rushing over to sweep Taehyung off his princely feet that instant.

Instead, the sly and cocky son strolled up to the prince and placed his hand on the prince's shoulder, to the dismay of the royal and the anger of Jungkook, his eyes boring holes through his step-brother's back.

"You must be Prince Kim Taehyung," he said smoothly, in his deep voice, almost cooing at the royal.

Taehyung slapped away the hand that was unwelcome to his shoulder nearly shouting, "Of course. And if you would like to remain in your current location, I suggest your hands stay off of me and your mouth sewn shut."

Taeyong was clearly shocked by the cold response, as he was quite used to every human with sight swooning at the sound of his voice.

Taehyung angrily glared at the red-haired flirt, daring him to speak before turning to look at Jungkook, his eyes immediately losing the intensity and softening into the smile that made Jungkook's heart beat faster than ever before.

"I came to wish you goodbye, and let you know that I look forward to seeing you at the ball in a few days," Taehyung said softly, obviously wishing he could stay for the rest of the time, wanting so badly to connect his lips with the younger's again.

He approached Jungkook and gave him a long hug, whispering in his ear, "I love you. I can't wait to make you mine," as he lightly grabbed the younger's ass out of sight of the others, making him blush before he exited the hallway, with one last glance at Jungkook.

The blush was not missed by Taeyong, who was still highly offended by the cold response to his advances.

Mark appeared oblivious to the situation, still wandering around the hall, fascinated by everything.

Taeyong didn't say another word all day as Jungkook finished his final stroke, wishing he could be rewarded by Taehyung.

Soon

So soon they would be together.

That alone took Jungkook through the day until he reached his home.

He was putting away his materials and moping around his studio just before his whole world went dark at the forceful connection of his head with the hilt of a sword.