[9] The Smart Choice

The next morning, Taehyung followed the sound of the most gorgeous singing voice he had ever heard.

It was humming the tune of a lullaby, something recognized almost universally.

Of course, it was Jungkook.

OF COURSE, he had an angelic voice coupled with his artistic talent and lethal good looks.

It seemed his new location was the Ballroom, as he had finished the painting of the garden.

Tae's steps echoed down the empty halls of the palace, almost at a run to spend another pleasant day wooing the affection of the artist.

He entered the ballroom and was pleased to see a smile light up the giant space, making Taehyung feel warm and wanted.

He took extra time to look up and down the face and body of the painter that day, wanting him to notice.

"Ah, Tae I see you have found me again. Still reading that book?" Jungkook laughed, looking back at the Prince before blushing at the obviousness of Taehyung's eyes raking over him.

"I would not be if you did not keep distracting me with your words and your painting," Tae smiled widely, returning to his playful demeanor, pulling out his book and plopping onto one of the thrones in the room, directly behind Jungkook.

Jungkook could still feel the powerful gaze on his back, but he chose to coyly ignore it, turning back towards Tae for a moment, smirking, and then returning to his work.

It drove Taehyung mad.

"Oh, so you're just going to..." Taehyung's banter was suddenly cut off by the sound of trumpets, heralding the arrival of a guest.

The pair jumped, surprised by the sound when Jungkook heard the slap of Tae's hand hitting his forehead.

"OH MY GOD MY DAD IS GOING TO KILL ME," Tae burst out, jumping off the throne and dashing off, before stopping just by one of the doors of the ballroom and looking longingly back at Jungkook.

"Where are you going??" Jungkook yelled, attempting to hide the disappointment in his voice.

"Lord Park is coming today and I totally forgot, I HAVE TO GO GET DRESSED," Taehyung said in a panic before running again, his call of "I'M SO SORRY," echoing around the now lonely ballroom.

Jungkook, smiled, sad to lose the company, but amused at Tae's panicked state.

"Maybe I'll actually get some work done," he muttered to himself, sorely missing the company of the prince.

Taehyung ripped his casual clothing off and rushed to pull more formal clothing on, attempting to lessen the verbal thrashing he knew he would receive later for being late to greet a guest.

He ran as fast as he could to the foyer, stopping just outside to catch his breath before strolling in, heels clicking against the marble floor.

Those present turned, including who Tae assumed was Lord Park and a glowering King Seokjin's whose formal manner slightly cracked when his son sauntered in the room, late once again.

"Lord Park, I hope your journey was well," Taehyung smiled politely, getting closer to his new guest and his impending death at the hand of his father.

The Lord smiled pleasantly, his full lips revealing a bright grin, his eyes crinkling to agree with his pleasant aura.

"It was quite beautiful. Thank you for your generous invitation to stay with you," he continued, "but please, call me Jimin. I still feel too young to be called a Lord," he laughed (It was more of a drawn-out giggle really).

Taehyung was surprised at the appearance and manner of Jimin. He had been expecting someone much older than him, closer to the age of Jin.

Jimin appeared much younger, probably hardly older than Tae, and was not too hard on the eyes if Taehyung admitted to himself.

"Alright then Jimin. What would you say to a tour of the palace followed by a lunch. I assume you're hungry," Tae said reaching out his hand and grinning, welcoming the tired Lord and attempting to win back the favor of an angry father.

"What a lovely idea Tae, thank you. Please, be back in the dining room in an hour if you don't mind," Jin agreed, sounding more like a command rather than a suggestion, gritting his teeth as he glared at Tae.

Taehyung led Jimin around the palace, giving miscellaneous and unimportant details, yet Jimin appeared genuinely interested in every non-important fact Taehyung rambled about.

He began to see how far he could go with these antics, explaining the most mundane object, even going as far as to explain a single wood panel in one of the hallways, yet Jimin still looked interested.

After the tour was over, Taehyung decided to burn time, asking, "So, what brings you to the palace? Estate business I would guess," Tae suggested, knowing that the Park estate was the largest of those part of the Kim kingdom.

"Actually, I was invited to stay the week by both of the Kings," Jimin smiled, "But they never actually told me why. I assumed it was just to strengthen the working relationship, but I really don't mind if it was for political reasons."

Oh god.

It finally dawned on him.

Tae knew exactly the reason Jimin was here from the moment he said BOTH of the kings invited him.

Jimin was smart, pleasant, attractive, and important to the Kingdom as a whole, and would make a wonderful life partner, securing the Park lands for the Kim kingdom should they choose each other.

It would save over half the alliances in the kingdom and rapidly multiply and expand the favor upon the Kim Kingdom, as the Park family had no enemies and were very close with the most militarily powerful Esate, the Min Family.

This was the smart choice.

This was Jin's Choice.

Tae had set his eyes on a prize perhaps not looked so favorably upon by the Kingdom, and while Jimin was quite lovely, Taehyung knew he had already fallen.

And there was no getting back up from the distraction Jungkook had caused on Tae's life.

He made Taehyung's heart thump and veins pulse with energy.

This was the dangerous decision, the one that would cause outrage and confusion.

It was this moment Taehyung knew his choice was made.