[17] Duty

Jin had never seen his son so completely devastated.

Even when Jimin arrived the day before the ball was to occur, his joy in seeing his now best friend was only fleeting, as he broke down in tears again as he attempted to tell Jimin about Jungkook.

It made Jin seethe with anger when he thought about how the painter had so cruelly taken advantage of Taehyung. They would never commission the Jeons again.

He felt guilty that Taehyung's heart had been shattered, and that he would not be marrying for love, but perhaps, in time, Jimin and Tae's friendship could turn to love.

Jimin had agreed to become Taehyung's life partner, although Namjoon's perceptive eye picked up on hesitation on the part of the young lord.

When they had formally asked him, they could see his voice catch and his eyes dim their usual glimmer as he considered the possibility.

Jimin would have said no in a heartbeat. But Lord Park Jimin would be an idiot to say no. His parents would be furious, as the alliance with the royal family would secure their position in the kingdom and would couple that land to the crown permanently.

He had to shortly, tightly close his eyes before Lord Park managed a confident

"yes"

But Jimin felt like death saying the word, dooming any hope he had to live the rest of his life with the man he truly loved.

But Taehyung wasn't so bad. They would be fine.

When he thought of the smile on Tae's face when they were with Jungkook (a bitter taste formed in his mouth from thinking the name of the traitor) it made his heart pull, for he knew Taehyung would never love him that completely.

Taehyung locked himself in his room, seldom allowing company to grace his presence, and only permitting Seokjin, Namjoon, and Jimin entrance.

During his costume fittings, his shoulders sagged and his arms were limp, only becoming solid when ordered to be.

The tailor peered up, pins sticking out of his mouth and shook his head as he moved back to his work. It was as if the whole palace knew of the prince's heartbreak.

Taehyung's two days before the ball felt like nothingness.

He was simply moving from one place to another, before ending up in the same place, his back flat against his bed, staring at the ceiling, eyes shut and pinching himself, praying that everything was a dream.

He hoped when he woke up, he could peer over and that face he should hate would be looking back, doe eyes full of love and his bunny smile crinkling the skin by his eyes.

Every morning when he woke up, the tears would come once again, staring at a blank wall as he opened his eyes for another day of moping.

Namjoon couldn't stand it.

Taehyung had always been happy, and to see him act this way made him feel like a stranger to his own son.

It didn't help that he had spent the last sleepless week reading reports from palace spies about increased activity of the Antis across the kingdom, specifically in the central region around the palace.

Jin found his beloved on the floor of their study, staring at the ceiling, his hands clutched together on his chest, obviously contemplating the protection of his nation.

That's where Tae got that habit from

He sighed, and walked over to lay his back next to Namjoon, untangling his hands from each other so he could hold the left one.

Namjoon registered the body next to his and relaxed, leaning his head to rest against Jin's as Jin rubbed Namjoon's thumb.

He pulled their entwined hands to his mouth and kissed the back of Jin's hand, whispering, "They won't stop until I'm dead, will they?"

"Or they're dead," Jin muttered, squeezing Namjoon's large hand, offering reassurance and stability.

"Aish Jinnie I don't know who to trust anymore. I don't know how the Antis are getting all of this information much less how they are able to do so much damage. Who do we even have left?"

Jin flipped over, putting himself on top of Namjoon's body as the politics master let out a small grunt.

He pinned his brilliant partner's hands to his side and firmly placed their lips together, Namjoon's grunt turning into a sigh of appreciation and love.

He was smiling when their lips separated, clearly calmed down.

"We need him"

Namjoon was startled.

"Jimin can reach him quickly, I know he has a close bond with him and Hoseok."

Namjoon jumped up with a start, unaware that he threw Jin off his body completely.

"OF COURSE, SEOK YOU'RE A GENIUS," he nearly screamed, tugging Jin up from the floor to kiss him soundly before searching on his desk like a madman for paper and a pen.

"I'll get JIMIN to send for Yoongi so that we know no one will intercept this message, then we will have security we can trust!"

Sometimes Jin was convinced Namjoon was still in his twenties at heart.

Jin watched his cherished partner call for Jimin, proud of himself for cheering his husband up, and once again falling in love with the man he chose to couple his life to.

"I...... I will send for Yoongi," Lord Park formally bowed before swiftly exiting the study.

"LORD PARK," Namjoon called.

The lord turned, surprised at the stern voice from the usually calm and collected royal.

"No. One. No one but you can see this message until it reaches Yoongi. Do. You. Understand."

Jimin nodded his head, his calm façade momentarily fading as his eyes opened the window to his tormented soul, not wanting to face the man after promising himself to Taehyung.

"I will do as you ask," Lord Park responded before running to do as told.

A tear rolled down his cheek, but his hand wiped it away quickly, before anyone could see the cracking of his soul as he ran to face the man he desired more than anything, unable to express this for fear of destroying his family.

This was his life. It was all it could ever be.

Everything because of his duty to his family and his land.

A pawn of his parents.

A slave to his society.

Brutally wrenched from the greatest of his hearts desires.