Chapter One

It all began in the fall season, September 31st 2016. Leaves colored golden, mixed with the sweetest bit of honey. This was her first time alone in a new city. Pursuing her dream to become an artist, more than just a housewife. She had recently been married, but now divorced. Having come to a conclusion that she never truly had feelings for her ex-husband.

Looking at the huge building, she could do no more but appreciate the view. The modern design of the building gave her hope in a strange way. To her, it represented a new beginning and opportunity. Her creative mind had already begun stirring, and her fingers itched to take out her new paint brush to paint something only she'd understand.

Taking a deep breath, she hastily walks in, rushing to escape the bitter cold nipping at her fingertips. Spotting the front desk, and someone she assumes to be the landlord, she slowly walks towards her.

"Hello, I'm sorry to interrupt. But do you know a Sandra Crocker?" she asks.

Startled, the woman turns around quickly and takes in a sharp breath, her heart pounding.

"Oh yes, yes. I'm Sandra Crocker I'm guessing you're Sophia Rodriguez?"

Sophia smiles and nods her head, shaking Sandra's hand. As her soon-to-be landlord began to speak, Sophia could feel herself space out, her words slowly becoming inaudible as she notices a familiar paper on the wall. A 'Wanted' sign, with tiny print under the picture of a man, probably in his mid-thirties.

"....okay?" Sophia turns around to an expectant gaze.

She sighs shakily and smiles at the landlord. "O-oh yes. Of course."

The landlord hands Sophia the keys that is marked with her apartment number. She replies with a quick 'thanks' before walking to the elevator, stepping in and clicking floor number three.

As the door of the elevator opens, another woman steps in. Sophia couldn't stop herself from staring intrusively.

She had short hair as beautiful as silk, with rich creamy skin covered with intricate tattoos; with tight black suit pants, accentuating her slender figure, and a white blouse that was hidden behind an ocean blue blazer.

The woman looks up and smiles kindly and Sophia is blinded by the beauty of this woman. She had never felt anything like this before, and especially for a woman. Or even someone she doesn't even know.

Sophia then looks at the woman's lips, which seem to be moving?

"Hello? Are you alright? I think this is your stop." The woman stares at Sophia concerned.

"Oh....oh! Yes this is my stop. I apologize for the hold up." Sophia smiles at the woman nervously and walks out of the elevator, smiling gratefully at the woman, also noticing her sexy accent.

"No big deal, have a nice day." The woman smiles warmly and checks her phone as the elevator doors close. Sophia puts her cool hands on her warm face, knowing it must be tainted red at this point, and starts walking towards her apartment door. As Sophia unlocks the door and walks in, she is welcomed by a beautiful view. The interior is decorated with woodsy flooring, polished to the gods.

Sophia had purchased this apartment condo while living in Miami, Florida. After she left her husband after seeing him mooching his secretary on the kitchen counter on her 21st birthday last year. She had finally gotten a job offer that her husband would approve of, and was rushing home to share the news...let's just say it wasn't a good sight. After the worst surprise for her birthday, she wanted to escape. Fortunately, it led her here. A perfect place with many opportunities: New York City. This was her fresh start, and it was already going well, excluding who she saw on the wall while getting her information.

Sophia sets her bags down and walks in, closing the door behind her. Dragging her fingers across the soft violet colored couch gently, she smiles to herself, happy she finally moved on. Suddenly her phone starts going wild. Startled, Sophia screams lightly, pressing her hand over her excited heart. She blows a breath out and rolls her eyes, annoyed with her jumpiness this evening.

Grabbing her phone, her bestfriends face flashes brightly. Sophia smiles excitedly and answers, throwing herself on the couch.

"Ay, Sophiaaaaa. He oído que estas en la ciudad!" Sophia laughs and thinks back about her only closest friend Rodrigo. He owns this and many, many other apartment complexes.

"Oído? De quien?" Her smile wavers and she automatically thinks the worst.

Could it have been him?

"Sandra, silly! I'm glad you're finally here. We're going out tonight! Best club tonight."

Sophia shakes her head and then comes to the realization that he can't see her.

"I don't think so, Rod. I'm really tired and uh-"

"Oh please!" He cuts her off quickly, "I know you're just making excuses. You've never been the partying type. Plus, I'm already here." As if it was planned, the door bell rings loudly, and he hangs up on her.

Sophia sighs and walks to the door, raising her eyebrow, "Really?"