Chapter Thirty Eight

I scrape the remains of my dinner off my plate and directly into my mouth.

If chivalry is dead, then so are table manners.

Noodles.

Is there anything better?

Well, yes, but that's not the point.

The point is, I love noodles!

I could eat noodles all day, every day.

My favorite is noodles chicken and alfredo sauce.

Which is what we had for dinner tonight.

I still don't know how North Star knew about my obses—I mean love of this meal. And noodles in general.

I made a song about noodles when I was five and had them for the first time at school. Master and Marie never left scraps for me when had noodles.

Now, they are dead and I get all the food I want.

I guess the quote is true.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."

I am different. My situation is different. My mind is different.

"Ms.Sorenson, we are hoping you would come with us to the Academy to see about joining our mafia," Mr. Blackbourne invites politely.

I stroke my invisible beard.

"Hmm... Wait around the house while you guys have fun and miss the chance to join the mafia or make my dreams come true? Imma go with... Joining!"

With the last word, I throw my hands in the air and strike a tada pose.

They all laugh at my goofiness.

I beam, pleased that they actually think I am funny.

The last time I tried to tell Marie a joke, she was not happy. At all. I still have phantom pains in my arm.

"Trouble! Get your gorgeous *** into here!" Meanie hollers from the gear room.

I toss my plate in the sink and walk over to Gabriel.

Don't you just love the sound of priceless dishes shattering?

Gabriel dresses me in a pair of athletic black leggings, a gray sports bra, a red tank top, and my running shoes. He braids my hair into the fierce warrior braid that looks beyond awesome.

I pull on my white leather jacket and stick my knife in the sheath on my lower back.

I walk out with the boys into a SUV and buckle into the back seat.

"So, Corey, how did the you get accepted into the mafia?" I ask curiously.

Strangely enough, Corey seems offended.

"I'll have you know, I am one of the best tech experts that they have," Corey defends indignantly.

"But you're too good for the mafia," I say confused.

Corey looks shocked.

"You are calling me good?" He says slowly.

"Yes, Corey," I say just as slow.

I guess with some people you just have to break things down to their level.

Corey blushes and ducks his head.

Aw! He is adorable!

Once I stop mentally squealing, I watch the scenery as we drive through.

An hour later, we arrive at a huge brick building that was rustic chic and surrounded by other buildings that were smaller but matching in design. All of them are fenced in together by a huge ten foot steel fence with spiked and barbed points at the end of each rod.