Chapter Forty Five

I skip out of the cafeteria following Gabriel who, with his long strides, makes it so I have to skip to keep up with him.

Arriving at our destination, Meanie opens the door for me and we walk in together.

I sigh.

Gabriel, despite his punk look, is such a gentleman.

I stride into the room and immediately let Sarah take control.

We run over to the racks and we start throwing clothes at Gabriel until we are satisfied that we have chosen the best pieces.

We dash into the changing room and have Gabriel hand us the items that we need.

I think we spend an hour trying on clothes, but I do not protest because Sarah will only ever need me to try them on once.

Finally, I come out wearing a black t-shirt dress with a red graphic phoenix on the front. I have short black shorts underneath that are hidden and red shoes like from the Wizard of Oz.

Gabriel looks me up and down wide eyed and breathes, "Wow."

I blush and look down.

"I'll change, sorry," I murmur.

I didn't think that I was that ugly...

"Ugly?!" Meanie repeats horrified.

I gape at him.

"You can read minds?!"

Gabriel gives me a confused look.

"You said that out loud, Sang," He informs me.

"Oh," I say quietly.

Gabriel absently mutters, "I can't believe she has confidence issues worse than me."

Honestly, if I were normal, then there would've been no way I would have heard him.

Thank goodness I have inhuman hearing.

"You have confidence issues?!" I gawk.

Meanie flushes and gives the tiniest of nods.

"Wha—? But you're so awesome and handsome and such a good artist! You were the one that painted the mural at Bob's Diner, aren't you? I just... What?! How can..." I ramble senselessly not even finishing my sentences a few times.

"You think I am handsome? You like my work?" Gabriel blurts out amazed.

"Well, duh," I answer casually with an eye roll. "Besides, everyone loves your artwork. When was the last time someone said something bad about it?"

I need to know the answer.

So I can hunt them down and kill them for hurting Gabriel.

He may be a Meanie, but, at least in my head, he is my Meanie.

No one hurts my Meanie.

Gabriel ponders sadly, "Well, I guess I can't remember really, but people don't always like my work."

I snort, "Stupid, people aren't gonna always like your work. There are always going to be haters. Deal with it, darling. Your work is amazing whether or not others recognize it."

"But is it normal for your parents to hate your work?" Gabriel protests.

I think I found a new addition to my kill list...

"Beep normal!" I proclaim.

"Wha—? Did you just say "beep," Trouble ?" An amused Meanie asks.

"Yup. Just repeating what you told me," I inform him with a wink.