Chapter Forty Eight

"Of course, Father."

I smile up at Father.

He truly is the best person in the world. I don't know why I ever even thought about hating him. He is too perfect to hate.

"Good girl," He replies blankly. "And if you succeed in killing them, I will let you eat dinner with me."

My eyes grow wide.

Dinner?

With Father?

I can't remember the last time I was allowed to eat, let alone with Father who rarely spends time with me.

I crave the love of my father because I have never been shown the love of a family member before.

Father has explained to me the truth, that Mother never really loved me. At first, I didn't believe him, of course. After time, though, I realized that Father is always right.

Father will always know the truth of everything.

Father always loves me, unless, of course, I make a mistake.

Father is always there for me, sometimes with a smile, sometimes with a belt, but he is always there.

Father especially always makes sure I am healthy.

I beam at Father.

All I have to do is kill fourteen boys and he will love me.

***

Owen slammed the file down.

"This isn't working!" He roared to the stunned group of boys in the room.

"None of it! We can't find her like this!"

Luke was drawn out of his daydream by the slamming and yelling.

Over the last few months, they had all been deteriorating.

Luke was rarely seen not daydreaming. All his thoughts were consumed of fantasies about a living Sang. A Sang that was safe and with them in a place where she knew how much they loved her. Luke didn't eat unless forced to. It all tasted awful. The sweetest of foods pales in comparison to his Cupcake.

North was silent. Everyone has expected him to yell, to scream, to shout when he found out. No. The silence was worse. North yelled to show he cared. North no longer cared. He was empty and dead inside. North lost his Sang Baby.

Silas cried without a care in the world who saw him. He cried himself to sleep, he cried at the mention of Sang. His Aggele was gone and he couldn't get her back. What is life with no angels?

Corey was hopeful. He held out for as long as he could, waiting for his Skunk to return to him. Corey never cried, he remained strong for his brothers and for Sang.

Brandon, the sad eyed twin, was numb. He knew this would happen. Everything good in his life will be taken away. Brandon knew that it was only a matter of time before he lost his brothers along with his Mechanic.

This was a rare sighting of Gabriel. He locked himself in his studio and rarely came out. Paintings and sculptures and drawings filled the room. His art was for Sang, his Trouble, for his grief, for his hope. He no longer wore orange, he neglected his favorite color and wore only pink and black. The pink was like surrounding himself with Sang and the black for his sorrow and lack of light. Trouble was his light in this world.

Marc, in the other hand, was always there. He was over the top happy. He was always trying to do things with his brothers. Marc refused to admit the possibility that his Coffee Bean was gone. He pretended everything was fine and normal. He couldn't bear the thought that he might never see Sang again.