Spot Conlon ~ Why Aren't Ya Fawnin' Over Me? (H.S. AU)

"Come on, Spot! Soak 'im for us!" Jack's voice rang out.

I sighed. Jack was my famous brother, the ladies' man, and a terrible student. I had no idea how he passed middle school. Let alone the freshman year. I was known as the "Little Kelly". Funny 'cause we were twins, and I was older than Jack by 5 minutes. Probably the height issue contributed to the nickname. It was great to be known and all, but being well-known was really annoying. I always had someone wanting to be my friend, etc.

As I nudged my way to the front, I saw Jack cheering ultimate class-failure and bad boy, Spot Conlon. He considered himself "King of Brooklyn" since all of the gangs in Brooklyn (and pretty much everywhere else, except for Jack's gang) respected him and kept their distance and etc. I just called him "King of Idiots". Such an annoying kid, and yet he managed to stay on Jack's good side. Jack and Spot didn't really hang out, but they had a mutual agreement about watching each other's backs. Like right now. I glared at Jack, who just smirked and shrugged at me. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

Right now, Spot was beating up a rich kid from the richer side of New York. Principal Pulitzer's son Joe Jr., to be exact. I just call him Jr. to shorten everything and make life easier. (And also because he hates being called that, according to his sister, who also calls him Jr.) His sister was awesome, though. I usually talked to her about any problems we had. I don't know what happened to make her live with the jerk.

Jr. punched Spot in the eye, then kneed him in the gut. I winced as Spot fell down. Jr. walked over and rolled Spot onto his back with a foot, then put that same foot on Spot's chest, pinning him down. Spot gasped for breath.

"Not so tough now, are we?" Jr. taunted Spot, earning a sharp glare from Spot. If looks could kill, Jr. would be dead a million times.

Spot used the last of his strength to grab Jr.'s arm and yank him down. The kids from our side of town cheered, and Spot flipped Jr. over. Jr. lay on the ground, groaning, as Spot leaned down and said, "Nice try, Joe. But next time, make sure your ego isn't so big and that you're actually ready. Unlike each and every time you've tried to beat me up in the past." as three teachers came running towards the crowd assembled.

Everyone snickered as they dispersed. Jack made his way over to me. I kept an eye on Spot as he made his way to the nurse's office. He had a cut on his face, and girls were already flocking to him, making sure he was okay in their own way. The teachers stopped him and Jr., said a few things, and sent them in their respective ways.

"How'bout that? Spot beat Joe." Jack said.

"Again." I reminded him. "Honestly, it's not something to get worked up over. And besides, prom is coming up, and he's gonna look all beat up."

"Killjoy." Jack muttered under his breath.

I whacked him on the head with my book. "I heard that."

~~~

Later, as my friends and I were walking to our last class, Spot came out of the nurse's office. My friends immediately gushed over him and went over to him, asking him the usual questions: "Are you okay?" or "How are you feeling?" and etc.

I followed them, crossing my arms over my chest. It was every girl's dream to date Spot. Every girl except me, that is. I could see why they wanted to though. Handsome, bad boy (don't see why all the girls in my school love bad boys), aloof. All of them wanted to go to prom with him.

"I think Mr. Conlon needs his extra space, girls." I said coolly. "Leave him be."

"Well if it ain't Little Kelly herself." Spot replied.

My friends gave him their last words, then told me they were going. I nodded and kept my face expressionless.

"Why aren't ya fawnin' over me?" he asked after a moment of awkward silence between us. Wow, straight to the point and he made it even more awkward.

"'Cause ya just a boy, and a regular high school student, same as any of us."

Spot stayed silent, and stared at the ground. "(Y/N)?"

I hummed in response.

"Will ya go to prom with me?" he asked timidly. "None of the girls that don't have a date are nearly as pretty or fearless as you. They're all shy, timid, very unlike you."

I shook my head. "I'm going with somebody else. But maybe something'll happen at prom....." I trailed, giving Spot a wave and walking away.

~~~

Prom was fun, don't get me wrong. It's supposed to be fun.

But I don't do social events. Especially not with the date I was with. He was annoying. Also got tipsy 15 minutes in.

I excused myself from my group of friends I was talking with and stepped out, leaning on the balcony rail that overlooked the school's football field, which also held some prom students. It was a good thing my dress wasn't too big or in-the-way. A moment later, someone came and stood next to me.

It was Spot.

"You look pretty, as always." he remarked, breaking the silence.

I smiled. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Spot chuckled and turned his gaze away from me, facing the football field. I don't know why I chose this view, though. There was a perfectly pretty view of the school's courtyard with a fountain and the school mascot in the middle of it, and flower bushes surrounding the courtyard, but nooooo. Oh well.

"The atmosphere get too hyped?" Spot asked.

I nodded. "I don't do social events. Actually, if it were up to me, I'd rather stay home and read rather than go to prom. I'd rather watch out for my comfort than I would my memories. Kinda sad, really."

Spot laughed, and a small smile appeared on my face. Maybe I should've reconsidered my choice of avoiding Spot.

No stop it! Don't give in to your feelings! A voice inside me argued.

Well screw you. I responded to it.

I leaned my head on Spot's shoulder, causing him too freeze for a split second. But he soon relaxed and wrapped an arm around me, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Maybe I should've fawned over you sooner." I muttered.

Spot laughed and pulled me away from the rail and into him. I rested my head on his chest, breathing in deeply. He smelled like wood and deodorant, what he usually smelled like.

"Yeah." he agreed. "Maybe you should've."

Okay that didn't quite end the way I imagined. Probably because I was so close to finishing, but then did something else and forgot about how the ending was supposed to go.

Eh, oh well.