Gabriel Damon ~ Notes

Requested by -OnceUponaDime

Not Hob, I hope that's okay.

Young Gabriel Damon. imo, he looked better when he was a teen.

(I wanted him to be 14, since that was around his age when he played Hob, but imo, 14 is a bit young to be in a serious committed relationship (I think you should be at least 15-16), and 15 seemed a little more appropriate.)

~~~

15-year-old me was bored. Nothing to read, nothing to draw. I didn't feel like doing much. I lay on my best friend Gabe's bed while he was outside doing who-knows-what. I think he was horsing around with his friends or something, I don't know. He just called me over and sat me in his room, telling me to wait, and disappeared for--I looked at my watch--about an hour now.  

What I do know was that I was bored and that I started rummaging around Gabe's room for something. I don't know what exactly, just something. And I don't know why, exactly, I just had a feeling about something. I had stolen a few of Gabe's hoodies on occasion, nothing fancy. I ruffled through his sock drawer first, which had a decently large wooden box that was nailed into the drawer. I opened it to see a bunch of papers overflowing out of the box. I picked them up, seeing ticket stubs and random information here and there. But a few caught my eye. 

I saw a pink slip of paper, and I saw Gabe's handwriting scrawled out a small phrase.

"That was my lunch!"

To anybody else, that would've been some random phrase, a writing prompt possibly, but I chuckled at the memory. That was when we met in first grade. I was the new kid, and I had my lunch set out in front of me, all neat and tidy. Then along comes Gabe and his friends, goofing around and generally not paying attention to the things around them. They had made their way over to where I sat, locked in some wrestling match, and in the process, Gabe accidentally knocked over my lunch.

"Hey!" I called. "That was my lunch!"

Gabe's eyes were glued on the food on the floor, his face a look of utmost horror and sadness. He looked up at me, an adorable frown on his face. "I'm sorry." he muttered, dropping his head.

I smiled as the next slip of paper popped up. It was light blue this time and read, "It's no surprise that things turned out like this."

I smiled, remembering that in 6th grade, Gabe had trouble with his Biology work, so our teacher assigned me as a tutor to him. He had nervously approached me in the library that day, his face uncertain.

"Can I help you, Gabe?" I asked him, not looking up from my work.

"Uh, well, Mrs. Burke assigned you as my tutor." he said.

"And?"

"And there was an assignment that she wanted you to go over with me." he replied timidly, handing me his test we had taken last week. He had almost failed, getting a 70 on it. Now, that might've been an okay grade in some other schools, but our school was a school that graded hard. They didn't take a failing grade for an answer.

I skimmed over the test, seeing that he knew the info, he just needed a way to understand it. "It's no surprise that things turned out like this." I told him. "Sit down."

"What do you mean?"

"Mrs. Burke is a terrible teacher, I'll give you that. But the thing is, you just need the motivation to do well."