Enjolras ~ Protector (Part 3)

Female reader

~~~

The cry came from a little boy who looked like he was lost and trying to find someone or something, but couldn't because he was so small and the people scattering made it harder to find what he wanted.

I sighed and jogged over to him, smiling reassuringly at him as I kneeled down to his level.

"Hey, little guy. What's wrong?"

He sniffled and clutched his arms around him tightly. "I lost my mama in the crowd. She's gonna be so mad at me when I find her!"

I wiped away his tears that started to cascade down his cheeks.

"Now, now, I want you to stay calm, okay?" I told him. He nodded and rubbed his eyes. "We're going to find your mom, okay? This mess will be over soon, and you can be with your mom soon."

I turned away from him for a second, looking back at the chaos behind me. Yeah, nothing but still-scattering people. But as I scanned the scene, Enjolras caught my eye. A group of soldiers had surrounded his front side in a semicircle about 10 feet away from him. From what I could tell, Enjolras was stalling them. For how long he had held out, I have no idea. But I had to get there soon, or else there wouldn't be an Enjolras anymore.

The little boy had begun crying again, and I turned my attention back to him.

"Shhh, it's okay, it's okay. We're going to find your mom. But for us to do that, I need you to hide, okay? Can you hide for me?"

He gave me a small smile and nodded, quickly finding a hiding spot in an overturned barrel and hunkering down. He peeked out when he had settled himself, and I nodded at him with a smile of my own before calling back to him.

"Now stay there until I come back to get you or if you hear your mom calling you, okay? I don't want you to get hurt."

The boy nodded again, and I ran at full speed towards Enjolras.

I stopped just behind him, when a soldier turned his gun from Enjolras and pointed it at me.

"Oh look, Princess decided to join us." the soldier sneered. "The more revolutionaries we kill, the merrier!"

Damn, okay. He's definitely trigger happy.

I barely had any time to retort before I saw metal flash in the corner of my eye and a "BANG."

Enjolras. Enjolras. Enjolras.

That was all that rang through my head.

I have to keep him safe.

Nothing can harm him.

Nothing must touch him.

I can't let that happen.

My arms immediately went around Enjolras's torso, my wings instinctively unfurled from being curled up behind me all this time and wrapped themselves around Enjolras, stopping the bullets from hitting him.

And that's when I felt it.

The sheer pain of bullets puncturing the feathers and lodging themselves in them.