Mike Faist ~ Hugs & Kisses

Requested by EstelleMaxwell061208

Thank you so much for being patient with me while I took a few months to write this! I did not mean for me to take this long in finishing a one-shot.

~~~

My fingers moved over the piano keys, warming up and playing out a short tune that echoed around the orchestra pit. The music calmed me, washing away the day's stresses. I had just finished some tech work at Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway, and I just needed a way to unwind. What better way to do that than to play some piano?

I began humming along, testing out a few notes here and there and marking them on my sheet. I tried some words, until finally I tried playing what I had composed so far. My fingers flew over the piano keys again, the music filling up the space. I began to sing the words I had written, my voice gradually growing louder and louder until I finally was serenading an invisible audience, my voice harmonizing with the music. It felt so good to just play away the stress.

"You okay?" a voice rang out from behind me as the last note echoed. 

I turned around to see my boyfriend, Mike, standing there with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He had a soft grin on his face, and a contagious one, might I add.

"Yeah, I'm good." I replied, reaching for him and hugging him tightly. "Yeah. Good."

Mike pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "Are you sure? Because I know that you usually play piano when you feel down."

I offered him an apologetic smile and shrugged, walking out of the orchestra pit and into the house. "I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

"Seriously, are you okay? Because it seems like you've got something on your shoulders." Mike paused. "Actually, I can see that little cloud of doubt over your head."

I sighed and sat down on a seat in the house. "I know tech work is supposed to be chaotic and stuff, but it's just been a lot these past couple weeks. I don't know if I'm--"

"I'm gonna stop you right there." Mike interrupted, sitting down next to me. "Because I know how you're gonna end that sentence: with something depressing or saddening that breaks my heart to hear you say."

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back in the chair, taking a deep breath.

Mike sighed. "Okay, Emily, look at me."

I frowned, but kept my head where it was.

"Okay, fine. Don't look at me. But at least listen to what I have to say." Mike continued.

"When I first met you, Emily, you were a brilliant ray of sunshine. You brought a smile to everyone's face whenever you said 'hi' to them or brought them something or made sure they took care of themselves. You have brightened everyone's day, some way or another, in these past years that you've joined the crew of Dear Evan Hansen. And I'm personally really happy that you appeared in our lives, because if you hadn't I wouldn't have met my amazing girlfriend.

"Emily, you're amazing. I've literally come up with 3 big reasons why I love you. I mean, the list could be longer, but we'd be here a while, so...." Mike paused, the sound of Mike rummaging through his backpack filling the silence. "I wrote them down in case I ever needed to remind us of my love for you."

Mike chuckled, pulling out the paper. "Gosh, that sounded cheesy. But I'm telling the truth. Anyway, I'm gonna read the list out, okay? Well, it's a really basic list, but I was hoping I would improv the explanation if I had to, because--."

"Just read the paper, Mike." I snickered, opening my eyes and turning towards him.

"Ah, she wakes from her slumber!" he joked, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "Alright, here goes."

I smiled and closed my eyes again, turning my head forward again.

"Reason 1: I love you. I just love you. I love you because you think of helping others before you help yourself. You know your brother? I like how you like to write music for him and his friend. You're a caring and thoughtful person, and I love that about you. You make sure everyone is taken care of. If you give gifts, you make sure it has a sentimental story behind it. You just warm my heart, and I'm pretty sure you warm everyone else's heart too.

"Reason 2: You are a super talented, awesome, amazing person. You can do so many things! Things that I can't do. And some things I can do, but that isn't the point. Side note, remind me to start dancing and duetting with you more. Your beautiful hands can do so much. They can bring so much happiness. They can accomplish so many things. Your voice can sing so well. It makes everyone smile when you tell a joke or a compliment. You are just so talented and amazing, it amazes me how I managed to get you to like me."

At this point I was grinning like an idiot and had happy tears in my eyes. I sniffled, dabbing at my eyes with my jacket sleeve. Mike reached over and held my clasped hands.

"Reason 3: I love you because you're just you. I wouldn't have anyone else as my other half. You're one special cookie, one beautiful ray of sunshine. You are so determined, so strong. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You are amazing and perfect in so many ways, I couldn't list them all. I love you, Emily, and don't forget that."

I met Mike's eyes as he lowered the paper. We let a moment of silence pass between us, letting the words sink in and settle.

"That was...that was beautiful...and brilliant, and--oh I hate how I can't find the right words." I gushed. 

Mike laughed, pressing another kiss to my forehead. "You don't need to tell me now. You don't even have to use words. It's the little things that brighten my day. The gestures, the gifts, even the way you act and the funny faces you make all the time."

My hand cupped the side of his face. "Thank you for grounding me. It was a small moment where I felt like trash, but you just kicked away everything bad. Thank you, Mike. I love you, too."

I feel like that wasn't up to par, but you let me know. Again, sorry for not having it published sooner, and thank you for being patient!

Hope you enjoyed! :)