Spot Conlon ~ Competition

Female pronouns used

~~~

"What is this, Jacky-boy, some kind of walkin' mouth?" Spot jeered at Davey when he interjected.

"Yeah, it's a mouth. A mouth with a brain and if ya got half of one, you'll listen to what he's gotta say." I snapped at him.

Spot smirked at me. "Ooh, feisty. Who're you?"

"The newsie that beat the Delancey's into next week. The newsie that outsmarted the smartest bull in town. The list could go on." Jack interjected proudly.

I glared at him. "I can speak for myself, Jack."

Spot had a mildly impressed expression on his face. "Damn, she's cute." he muttered.

My head whipped in his direction. "What'd you say?" I asked suspiciously, stepping towards him so that our noses were pretty close to touching.

Spot only smirked, and I blew hot air out of my nose. "Watch ya mouth, Conlon."

"Come on, guys. Spot ain't gonna help." I said to the others, beginning to walk back the way we came.

"Hey, uh, come watch the sunset with me sometime?" Spot called after me.

I turned back to look at him. "We'll see."

~~~

I laid in my bed, watching the ceiling and thinking.

Should I go tonight?

Yes.

Holy sh--Who are you?

Language! It's your conscience. We don't talk a lot these days.

I sighed, slowly climbing down from my bunk and making my way out of the lodging house and to Brooklyn.

When I reached Brooklyn, a couple of newsies stared at me, but nodded or tipped their hats in acknowledgement. I made my way to the docks, where Spot was perched on one of the dock's poles, the one closest to the water. It was tempting to push him in. I made my way to where he was, and leaned against the pole opposite him. He turned to see who it was, and his eyes held surprise mixed in with a smug look.

"Back so soon?" he said tauntingly. "Ya miss me?"

I smirked back. "In ya dreams, Conlon."

He jumped down from his perch and stood next to me, staring out at the water tinted orange from the setting sun. I turned my head slightly, watching him to see what he would do. He only stood there, a faint smile on his face.

"Never thought I'd have competition. Much less a girl." Spot finally remarked.

"What, 'cause I can't fight for myself?" I challenged.

"No! That's ridiculous!" Spot defended himself. "I'm the toughest Newsie out there that dares make his dominance known, and I thought another Newsie from my borough or somewhere else would want to compete with me, or something like that." 

Spot shook his head. "I don't know. One moment you're coming with Jack to persuade me to join the strike and the next I'm falling in love with ya." He turned to face me. "At first, I thought a tough newsie would want to make themselves a threat to me, just letting me know that they're out there waiting for me to make one wrong move. I thought I'd have to keep my guard up even more, but I ended up falling for you. Do you know what I thought when I first saw you?"

I shook my head. "Do tell."

"I thought, 'Damn, she's cute.'" Spot answered, his smirk changing into a faraway smile as he turned back to the now dark blue sky. "I didn't like how the tough Spot Conlon had a soft spot for someone, and was going all soft. I got a reputation to keep. But--"

I shut him up by grabbing his suspenders and pulling him towards me. I finished his sentence and whispered in his ear, "A King still needs his Queen, though."

Spot immediately kissed me, wrapping an arm around my waist and cradling my head. I smiled into the kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck and yanking his hat off, tousling his hair. When he pulled away, he was red-faced, and looked timid and shy.

"Oh, uh, I'm sorry." he apologized. "But....did you really mean it?"

"Was that kiss not enough of an answer for you?" 

Spot seemed to regain some of his bravado. "Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe you gotta tell me again."

I smirked and pulled him back for another kiss.

I don't even know.

It turned out a little differently than I expected, but whatever. Honestly, I was probably just rambling and putting random stuff in there. It doesn't even make sense.

Hope you enjoyed anyway.