Eugene Roe ~ One Last Time (Part 2)

Here's part 2, it picks up right where we left off in part 1. I excluded some bits for the sake of length. Definitely mentions of blood, definitely a mention of injury. Might be some curse words littered here and there. It's unedited, so there's probably a bunch of inconsistencies. Sorry for the rambling in the first part, but the first part was mainly focusing on how Eugene and the reader got to know each other. This focuses more on their relationship.

~~~

You and Bull hunkered down in a barn for the night. You were hoping for a quiet night where you didn't have to worry about someone walking in and finding the two of you hiding in one of the stalls. 

"Your shoulder." you grimaced, pulling out your pocket knife and digging into the wound. Bull hissed and squirmed in pain, trying to stay still. 

"Sorry." you whispered. "The ricochet is in there pretty deep."

Once you had dug it out, you stuffed one of your spare cloths into the wound and patted Bull on the back. "Alright, it's good for now."

The night was fairly uneventful until the morning; the only close encounters we had were when an old man and his daughter walked in, and when a Kraut wrestled with Bull.

When the sun rose and it was light out, you and Bull stepped out of the barn's safety and carefully trekked back towards the road leading into town. You saw Private Miller lying in the end of the ditch, his lifeless eyes looking out towards nothing. Bull took Miller's dog tags and stuffed them into his pocket. The poor boy was only out on one mission and he didn't get to finish it.

You looked up when you heard a car rolling up, Bull raising his rifle up to signal the driver. As you climbed into the back of the vehicle, you wondered if you would have been able to last the night alone.

~~~

You were surrounded by soldiers congratulating you on staying alive for the night as soon as you jumped out of the car. How the hell the car managed to fit 9 people on it beat you, but hey, as long as you got back to Easy Company you didn't complain.

"Hey, looks like (Y/N) made it after all." you heard someone say. 

Eugene came pushing through the crowd. "Medic comin' through, medic comin' through."

He immediately engulfed you in a hug when he reached you, catching you by surprise.

"You're okay. You're okay." he whispered into your ear, though you think that it was more for his benefit, letting him know that you were alive and well. 

Your arms slowly encircled around him, your hands rubbing soft circles into the small of his back. "Shhh, I'm here. I'm here." you reassured him. "It's okay, it's okay. I'm not going anywhere."

You had to admit, it felt nice hugging him. He was a good hugger. 

"I could get used to this." you muttered.

Eugene pulled away, a small smile on his face.

"There he is!" you exclaimed, moving one of your hands to cup his face. "There's that smile."

He leaned into your hand, his eyes closing in contentment. "I was worried to death about you." he murmured. "I was so, so scared."

"I know, I know." You could only reassure him. "But it's going to take a lot more than what just happened to keep me away from you."

You let a moment of silence pass between the two of you before bursting out laughing. "Oh, man, we're not even a couple and we're already acting like one. Those boys'll have a field day when they see us being all lovey."