Discern

No more classes, just summer vacation and Amanda was already bored out of her mind. Usually on a hot days she would hang out with her old friends at Coney Island or go to the pool when she lived back in Brooklyn because everything was convenient considering the subway system but now she literally needs to drive everywhere to get to places. She honestly felt isolated in her own house. Her parents were never home and her sister was always with them. At this point she was going to Kevin's house every other day. 

She wasn't complaining all that much because she spent most of her time with Kevin but she wants to explore, not be in some small town. She truly was a city girl and she misses her old life. She would sometimes hum the ice cream truck sound or she would feel a moment of familiarity when a car alarm goes off.

It was a lazy afternoon for Amanda, she was in the kitchen making herself something to eat when she could hear the sound of an ambulance. The sound brought a sense of nostalgia from where she used to live since it was common to hear noises like that. However the sound was fairly close, like close enough to the fact it sounded like it was coming from directly outside. She walked up to the window and saw it was parked in front Kevin's home. She panicked and rushed to put on her slippers before rushing outside. 

She could hear a familiar voice and it was crying, it was Celia's cries. Amanda felt her heart ache when she heard her screams of pain from the closed doors of the ambulance. She saw Kevin standing outside and she rushed to him.

"What happened!" Amanda asked

"Celia got into the drain cleaner when she was in the bathroom. It was all over the side of her face." he says 

"Oh my god! Let me go get dressed, we can go to the hospital together! I wanna make sure she is okay!" She says while taking him by the hand

"I don't want to go."

"Kevin, your little sister is hurt! We have to see if she's okay!" 

"My parents already know, they are gonna be with her." he says blandly

"But she's hurt, Kevin! Don't you want to see her? Maybe she would want her big brother around."

"I don't wanna see her."

"Well I am going to make sure she's okay." She says while turning around before being grabbed by the forearm.

Kevin gripped her arm really hard, causing her to turn around and stare at him. She looked pained and in shock.

"Celia this, Celia that! I get enough of that crap from my parents, now from you?" He says in irritated voice

"Kevin, you're hurting me please let go!" She says while trying to break free of his grasp

He pulls her into a harsh hug before immediately hugging her leaving Amanda confused and distraught by his actions. 

"I am sorry, I just felt like the whole situation was entirely my fault and I am just so stressed and I have like millions of different emotions going through my head right now! I just don't wanna see her like that!" he says while pulling away from her.

"You really hurt my arm, Kevin." She says while looking up at him

"And I am really sorry!" 

Amanda only looked at him briefly before talking a step back from him. She shook her head and and looked up at him.

"I am going to go get dressed, then I am gonna go see your sister. Maybe you need some time alone to yourself because I still can't believe that you hurt my arm that bad!" Amanda says before she walks away

Kevin watched as her figure walk into ker house. He sighed and went back inside his own house, just to into his room to watch Amanda. There she stood in front of her mirror looking at her arm, he could see her lips quivering, with tears rolling down her face. She wipes them away before grabbing her clothes to get dressed.

Kevin felt nothing when he saw her crying. He didn't feel sad or even mad, he was indifferent. He walked down stairs back outside and waited for her on his front porch. Once she opened her front door and looked at him and she didn't say anything. Kevin saw her arm and saw a handprint on her pale skin. She walked halfway pass the front his house before Kevin got up and hugged her from behind. She didn't move from her spot, she could feel tears coming down from her face as she placed her hands over her eyes before she turned around to cry into his chest.