cabin | 12

Chapter 12:
Cabin

"Most nights I hardly sleep when I'm alone"
-Joel Adams (Please Don't Go)

Week 1 - Day 4

Jonah was wide awake when the bus had suddenly come to a fast halt. He smacked his head up against the top of the bunk, groaning in pain. And completely forgetting that he was on the outer side of the bed, he had rolled over to only face plant with the floor. He let out a frustrated sigh, deciding that he would just lay there for a few extra seconds. But he was quickly up when Sam suddenly popped out from her room, smiling and clearly excited.

"Rise and shine everyone! We're finally here!" Sam shouted as she pulled back the curtains to the small bunks. All you could hear was upset mumbles from the teens. Jonah rubbed his head as he looked out a nearby window. They were surrounded by trees and an endless path from their spot that went deeper into the forest. In a way Jonah was exited. He liked exploring new things, seeing what places held. And while they were here, he had every chance to see what this forest held.

He was quickly snapped from such wonderful thoughts when a bird had suddenly hit the RV window with a loud thud. Jonah stumbled back, obviously shocked from such random death. He even got a little worried and quickly exited the vehicle to see what may have happened. There couldn't have been any reason why the bird didn't see such a big metal contraption. Jonah looked down at the bird to see it was still twitching lightly, as it's neck was obviously snapped a different way.

He stepped back in disgust. And in the process he had bumped right into someone. His body tensed as he quickly turned around a little scared. He relaxed the second he had just seen that it was Christina smiling. Beside her was Jack who held a blank stare. But their expressions changed when they seen how upset Jonah looked.

"Hey, are you okay?" Christina asked worried. Jonah just shook his head.

"Uh, a bird hit the window. I was just checking to see what happened..." He trailed as he turned back around to check on the now dead bird. But as if it never really happened, the bird was gone. Jonah furrowed his eyebrows moving to see if he was just looking in the wrong spot.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jack chuckled now. Seeing Jonah look for something in only his sleep wear was kind of amusing. Especially when he really seemed to believe that what he was trying to find was there.

"Yeah. I swear there was-you know what? Nevermind. I'm going to get changed" Jonah sighed. He walked past the two and went back inside the RV to switch his clothes out. The other two just laughed lightly at him, deciding to start heading into the cabin. But while actually entering, Jack had seen a figure standing off in the distance. He couldn't tell what the person looked like, but he knew it was man of some sort. And the second he blinked, the man was gone.

Now the teen started to question if he was doing fine.

"Hello and welcome!" A voice spoke, making both Jack and Christina jump in surprise. They both turned to see it was a male. He didn't look too old and held a large grin on his face as he ran a hand through his long dirty blonde hair. "My name's Evan and if you ever need anything while your stay here, then don't hesitate to ask" he finished before walking away happily. Both Christina and Jack looked at each other in confusion yet amusement, before entering the cabin even more.

The two dropped their bags near the cushioned couch, before going separate ways on exploring the rather large cabin. It had two floors. The first being the main room, dining room and the kitchen in one big open space. Then on the far right side there were wooden stairs that went to the second level. It held five rooms and two bathrooms on each end. Jack was just roaming the first floor when he spotted a door under the stairs. He was reaching to open it, assuming it was just a closet; but was stopped when his name was called.

He immediately backed away and quickly joined the group that stood in the middle of the main room. Sam, Jeremy and Evan all stood next to each other giving large smiles. The eight teens found it creepy, but didn't pay no mind as they assumed it was just their way of showing positivity and happiness.

"Like the rules on the RV, don't use the bathroom too long and you all are going to have to share bedrooms. You can rotate on who sleeps with who, or you can all be assigned roommates. Cook whatever you want but don't burn the cabin down. Oh and considering I'm responsible for you eight and we are in a forest, you are not allowed to be out later than nine. If I catch you out there, there will be consequences" Sam listed off, looking at each student. "That is all, so enjoy your stay. But remember tomorrow is the day we start your communication skills."

Once she walked away with Jeremy and Evan hot on their trail, the eight teens also departed. Jonah had once again found his way towards a window and began looking out in awe. He particularly looked at a tree that seemed to glow in the bright sun. In the tree was a nest and a bird sitting in it. The only problem, was that the bird's head wasn't facing the correct way.

It seemed to be broken.

+++

Well this story took an unexpected turn.

-Nevaeh