behind the stairs | 18

Chapter 18:
Behind the stairs

"I'm protecting my soul"
-Sam Smith (Too Good At Goodbyes)

Week 1 - Day 7

Daniel couldn't sleep. He felt too cold, even if he was in the arms of someone he expressed all his feelings to. Slowly exiting the grasp of Corbyn, Daniel got out of bed and decided to head down stairs. He assumed that if he just had a glass of water, then he'll feel a lot better. With the thought in mind, Daniel kept a slow walk towards the open kitchen, rubbing at his tired eyes. He ran the sink (making sure it was cold water) before taking a cup from the cabinets above and filling it. The second Daniel took a sip his muscles relaxed in satisfaction.

But just as he was going to take another, he heard a loud bang coming from across the room. And considering it was dark out, Daniel's sight wasn't the best. He had to squint to make sure if anyone was there. He jumped dropping the glass cup when the sound was louder. And when he heard a door creak open, the brunette couldn't help but feel anxious. The cabin had always gave him a fearful feeling, but this was just down right scary now.

"Stop! Stop! You're killing him" a voice was heard. Daniel knew that voice. It was Corbyn's. And he sounded absolutely terrified.

"If I can't have him. No one can" this voice was different now. But most importantly it sounded like Zachary's. Daniel was confused and completely frightened as he neared where the voices were coming from. They didn't sound like they were coming upstairs from the bedrooms, but rather below. A light switched on, making Daniel swiftly turn his head in the direction to under the stairs.

There stood an open door, with stairs leading down below.

"Hello?" Daniel called out. "Corbyn? Zach?"

There was no answer.

There was no way that Daniel would be heading down the stairs by himself. That was just a death waiting to happen. So quickly running up the stairs, Daniel dashed back into his shared room with Corbyn and shook the older awake.

"Corbyn! Corbyn wake up!" Daniel pleaded as he shook the other. It wasn't long before the fake blonde jumped awake and looked at Daniel in caution. He relaxed the second he realised who it was.

"Dan-" he was stopped.

"No time to talk. Follow me. I think I heard something down in the basement" Daniel stated as he quickly exited the bedroom, a still tired Corbyn following close behind. But the two didn't go back downstairs. Instead they went to the other's rooms too and told them to get up as well. "I'm telling you guys, something isn't right."

The group followed Daniel nevertheless, showing them all the still opened door. The only person to really react is Jack.

"Did you hear anything?" Jack questioned, his skin draining of color now that he seen the the door opened. He hated how it resembled the downstairs basement that belonged to one of his family members. A place where he was told he was a sinner.

"Yes actually" Daniel shivered as he remembered what the voices said. "Something about murder and not being able to have someone."

"Oh God."

"I don't like this guys."

Both Christina and Gabriela said at the same time.