13: Middle

Cassidy's POV

Grant Knoche was an old friend of mine back when I was still in Chicago. We used to go to the same school and have several same classes. Normally, our parents would take Sean, Grant, and I to dance classes. Sometimes it could be my parents or his.

Grant was such a caring friend for me. He's like the second Sean for me. My family and his were so close, people think we're cousins.

When we were in middle school, his family decided to move to New York since his family wanted him to focus on music rather than dancing. But I occasionally see him dancing through Instagram explores at a few choreographers in New York.

Now the weird thing is, in this 3 years of being separated, we had none of each other's social media—not even phone numbers. But like I said, I saw him sometimes on my Instagram explore but I never had the guts to follow him or slide into his DMs. I just think it's unnecessary for some reason.

"Grant? Is-is this really Grant Knoche?" Sean walked closer and they were finally wrapped into a warm hug.

"The Sean Lew. I've missed you, dude," said Grant as he pat Sean's back—still in a hug.

They unwrapped their arms off of each other as Sean took a step back to allow me to step closer towards Grant.

"Cassidy Lew," he said as he opened his arms, allowing me to drown in his arms.

"Grant Knoche. Good to see you, big bro." We ended our hug and gathered on the couch in front of the TV and did a little reunion.

After gathering all of the newest information about our lives, I finally managed to ask how he got here at the first place. He said he was having a couple of weeks off and he decided to visit his aunt in LA.

Surprisingly, his aunt's house was three houses away beside ours. He ended up here because he saw my mom was taking out trash and he greeted her. He said my mom didn't recognize him for a second, but when she did, she exploded.

I was super clueless about my own feelings. Yes, I was super thrilled to be able to meet Grant again after 3 years of being separated. On the other hand, I'm living my dream, literally. It's not that miracle phrase but the scenario when I saw Grant was exactly my dream. Grant was the mysterious guy.
---

My family decided to invite Grant to dinner at The Vermonts, not too far from our house. It was somehow like a family tradition when a relative visits or it's just like a monthly event. You could say it's a fancy restaurant but the atmosphere isn't that formal—which is a good thing.

I decided to wear white skinny jeans and a navy blue blouse, added with a silver geometric necklace. I let my hair loose and I was just embracing my wavy hair. I put a little mascara and of course a fair amount of lipcream. I don't do my eyebrows on these types of event because my brows are thick enough even though they aren't in shape.

A tiny white slingbag was what I used that day. I filled it with only my phone, charger, and wallet with no money in it. And for shoes, navy blue Vans were the perfect match for my top.

As I walked downstairs to gather with the other, I saw everyone was in navy blue. Some paired it with white and some did it with black too. "Let's go, Navy Blues," led my dad as he exited the house first.

As we arrived at The Vermonts, the waiter led us to our table for five. It was a rectangular table and I sat beside Sean and Grant was in front of me. This is the only restaurant that I let my mom chose my food. I was always that type of person that could never decide something instantly so let my mom chose it for me—since everything here is good.

"What do you highly recommend?" asked Grant.

"King Prawn Risotto here is the best," I answered as I formed a good sign with my hand.

"Order Mint Fusion for the beverage, no regrets," Sean recommended.

"Sorry, not into Mints but thanks. What's refreshing here?"

"Lemon Sparkle never let us down," my mom added.

Grant laid his eyes on me—as if he was asking my permission but I shrugged in response. "Lemon Sparkle it is."

The entire dinner was basically reintroducing Grant's new life which I'm not that interested in. I mean, yeah, I would like to know how was his life doing and everything but there's always that point that you had to open you phone due to boredom.

My thumb ran to Kenneth's message and texted him saying that I'm bored. My thumb moved to open Instagram.

Scroll.

Scroll.

Nothing interesting.

Scroll.

Close.

Locked my phone instead.

I took a sip of my drink and I decided to continue to follow Grant's new life when suddenly my mom asked, "So, Have you got a new bae in New York?"

I choked. "Mom, don't say bae," said Sean in disappointment.

"Why? It is bae right? Or is it babe?"

"Mom, stop," said Sean and I in sync.

Grant chuckled and answered, "Um, to be honest, no. I don't have bae right now."

"Good, Cass doesn't have a bae too. You guys would—"

"Dad, no way," I blocked him.

"Are you insane? That would be like dating your own cousin, Honey," added my mom as she hit my dad's arm playfully.

"Exactly," said Sean and I in sync, again.

Hang in there, you'll do good.

With only six indirect words, Kenneth could make me smile instantly.
---

On our way home, I sat in the middle, in between Sean and Grant. It was an hour drive from The Vermonts to our house.

As my mom was searching for a good song on the radio, there was this station that played Middle by Zedd and it just started. Sean, Grant, and I looked at each other, signing that it was almost our time to sing.

"Take a seat," we sang in sync and ended up laughing out loud.

Grant and I managed to continue singing. Sean took out his phone and started recording us singing like drunken people.

When the beat dropped, all three of us started bouncing and jamming to the song and it made the car go crazy.

"Ooh Baby!" We all shouted.

"Why don't you just make me in the middle!" I sang out loud, didn't care what my voice sounded like.

"You are in the middle!" Grant shouted at me.

Sean and I looked and each other and burst out laughing. We all laughed our hearts out, including mom and dad. Sean recorded and he even uploaded it to his Snapchat. I was so glad he did that.

Was I?
__
A/N
It's the first day of finals and I'm tripping already. I probably won't post any new chapter until next week's Thursday. I'll try to post in between cs y'all know I won't be studying 24/7 irl lmao. BUT ANYWAYYSS don't forget to vote, comment, and a follow would be nice. Love y'all to the fullest❤️❤️