17: Us Against The World

Cassidy's POV

"Please tell me you did not just listen to me singing," I said as I slowly put Noah to bed but my face was decorated with a cringed look.

    "Can't say that because I actually just did," he said as he stood up and walked to my side, tucking little Noah to sleep like I did.

    "Ughh!" I grunted and sat on the carpeted floor and folded my knees up. "Go on, Kenny," I said as I rested my chin on my knees and wrapped both of my arms around my folded legs.

    "Huh?" He sat right next to me, not letting the tiniest gap separate us.

    "Cassidy Lew is ready to get a nasty review from Kenneth San Jose, the guy who's acing every talent," I said, still resting my chin on my knees and I added a slight frown.

    Kenneth straightened his back and had his body fully face to me. "Are you kidding me?" He asked with a light chuckle.

    I lifted up my head to face his face that was full or mesmerize. "That voice was really soothing. If I was Noah, I would legit sleep too even though I wasn't tired," he said, still with that shook face.

    "You know you don't really have to be this nice, right?"

    "This isn't me being nice. This is me being honest," he said. "Just accept my compliment and accept the fact that you have a really amazing voice."

    Those words that he just said didn't make me blush this time. It made my heart sunk and felt warm at the same time. I thanked him right away even though it was slightly inaudible. But then I started to wonder and left us with a short silence.

    Why was he being so nice to me the whole time? What was the actual reason behind all of these things he had to me? Why wasn't he like this to Kaycee or the other girls? Why me?

    I did think about this sometimes but I never had the answer and I really wanted to know—just because 'need' wasn't necessary enough. I collected all of my guts together to ask him the question that had been running in my thoughts lately.

    "No, but seriously though," I paused, "You don't really have to be this nice, like, extremely nice to me."

    "Like I said, this isn't—"

    "No, not just about this," I said, "about everything."

    He furrowed his eyebrows in a confused look, "What do you mean?"

    "Well, you've been such a kind and caring friend to me lately. I really appreciated it but I find it somehow unnecessary," I stopped.

    He didn't say a word or even tried to, he stayed silent so I decided to continue. "As far as I'm concerned, you normally hang out with boys. And when I came back here it's like you mostly spend your time with me—and back again with the overwhelming kindness. Why is that? Why—"

    "Because you're different, Cassie. This might sound very cheesy and cliché, but you're unlike the other girls I know. I mean, yeah, Maddie's kind, Kaycee is too, but they're not like you. You see things differently and I mean that in a positive way and that's probably the number one reason why—" he paused.

    And continued, "Why I'm crazy obsessed with you."

    My heart just exploded.

    "Ken—"

    "Wait," he said. "The way that you influence your surrounding is insane. You're a literal happy virus and your smile—God! It's not just contagious; it's more like a drug to me. I could listen to you laugh all day and I swear I'm not a psychopath. You're absolutely aware that the world is against you but you won't let that get in your way. It's crazy to think that there's an actual human being with a mind like you and—Arghh that's not enough!"

    "Again," he paused again and he talked slower and each word one by one, "I'm crazy obsessed with you."

    I was dumbfounded, staring deeply at Kenneth, trying to process all of the things that he just said. My mind was unable to process all of it properly. I was obviously overwhelmed until my visions were blurry from the tears that my eyes have been holding without me noticing.

    "I—"

    "Come here," he opened his arms widely for me to sink into him. I wrapped my arms around him, just like what he did to me and all I could feel was safe. He was hugging me so tight that there's a possibility that my lungs would break but I liked the sound of that.

    My tears dropped on his shirt and I felt a little weak. The possible reason why my eyes were sweating was probably because all of the mixed emotions that I had to consume all in one.

    He put his right palm on my head and started stroking my head softly. I knew I had to gather all of the words that need to be poured out. "I'm not sure if I can—"

    "I don't need you to say anything right now. This might be too much for you to absorb right now and I understand that you need time for all this. But you need to know one thing for sure."

    He leaned closer to my left ear and slowly whispered, "You're special. And if the world is against that, screw it."

    "You matter to me," he whispered.
__
A/N
yall i cried writing this. the song hits me everytime and the voice is really soothing and listen to the lyrics closely🌝 anYWAYS don't forget to vote and comment yaaal spread sum loveee❤️