23: Happy Birthday, Cassie

Cassidy's POV

Sean was being really off that day and I have to admit, he got me into my nerves. But despite his odd behavior that day, I try to not be salty on him because I wouldn't want to put him in such an uncomfortable feeling.

So I pulled the doorknob, took a deep breath as I pushed the door open.

"Happy Birthday, Cassie!" followed by a booming sound of cracking confetti.

And there they were; all of my LA friends are here—giving me a birthday surprise. Gabe and Josh blew out the confetti and some of the girls carried some cute ballons. To be honest, I didn't think that they would know—this was my birthday. I covered my wide-opened mouth with both of my hands as I looked back at Sean with a face carved with satisfaction.

Everybody started singing happy birthday to me with their phones recording. I was still standing frozen by the door as Kenneth walked closer towards me, carrying a birthday cake with candle shaped 1 and 8 on it.

"Happy Birthday to you!" they finished singing the last line of the song as they cheered merrily.

In the midst of everybody cheering and clapping, Kenneth carefully, sincerely, and simply said to me with eyes sparkling from the reflection of the candle, "Happy Birthday, Cassie," and ended up with the warmest smile I've ever witnessed from him.

I, still in awe, mouthed 'thank you' because I had zero energy to say it audibly.

"Come on, Cassie, blow the candles!" shouted Maddie from the back.

"Wait! Make a wish first, Cass!" replied Gabe.

Then everyone started to cheer out the same thing. And so I did—I closed my eyes tightly as I wished for something, something that only my deepest mind knows.

At that moment, I couldn't possibly think of what I wish for because it felt complete. Sean was there, my friends, and Kenneth San Jose carrying my 18th birthday cake as he waited for me to make a wish and blow out the candles. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? So I let my deepest mind control what I want.

I opened my eyes and took a very deep breath and blew both of the candles out. Everyone started to cheer again, some of the blew the birthday whistle thingy. But Kenneth didn't. He mouthed 'happy birthday' and he gave me that smile again. All I replied was my sincerest smile I could put out.

Sean and I stood in front of the decorations that my friends had set up earlier. I cut the birthday cake into pieces, assisted by Sean as he prepared for the plates and gave them to each and every one of my friends.

Everyone came to me and wished me happy birthday, gave me warm hugs, and some wishes that really meant special to me. I am grateful for each and every one of them. Well, technically speaking, Kenneth is excluded when I say everyone. Because he didn't say anything to me at that moment and I was totally fine with it.

It was really nice to see everyone talking, chatting, and laughing to each other with happy smiles painted on their lovely faces. From the corner of my eye I saw Sean heading towards the door. He was face paced but he wasn't panicking. So I decided to stop him and ask him.

"Where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm just gonna go grab some snacks and drinks for the squad. It'll only take a couple of minutes."

"I'll go, Sean. I also have to grab something real fast," Kenneth suddenly came over as he gently pats Sean's shoulder.

And out of nowhere, not from my sane mind, not from my healthy body, I confidently said, "I'll come with you."