⊱⊰ 8: When the Enemy Knocks the Door [New] ⊱⊰

"I can see you better now, but your features are not that clear." Kazuya examined Arisa carefully.

The heat concentrating on Arisa's palm vanished as she deactivated the rune.

"What could you see?" she asked, looking at him.

"I could see your figure; it finally has taken a human shape," he replied. "I could see your arms and legs clearly, but your face's features were abstract. The horror."

Arisa glanced at her hand, ignoring his provocation. "I wonder where I drew the rune wrong."

At first glance, it seemed as if she had gotten better in drawing both runes. Despite the rune of disguise looking messy, she thought the spell would work after spending most of the day practicing it. She exhaled, thinking that sacrificing their training to focus on the runes was all in vain.

"Don't worry, Arisa," said a soft voice. "Stupid Brother must not be teaching you well."

As Arisa gazed at her front, she spotted two girls sitting in the middle of the room. One of the girls was busy reading a book placed on top of the short and small table. The other one had her light brown eyes concentrated on Arisa, distracting herself from her homework for a moment.

"He's probably not teaching you well so he can spend most of his time by your side," continued Mimi.

Out of nowhere, a small gust swirled on Mimi's two-toned head, messing her braided ponytail.

"Ah, big brother," Momo complained as the pages of her books flipped in response to the wind.

"Sorry," said Kazuya, gesturing with his hand. "I didn't mean to disturb you, Momo. It's incredible how you have to suffer the consequences of Mimi's provocations."

As the gust lost its strength, Momo flipped her book. "It's okay. I should have expected that this day wouldn't end without the two of you expressing your sibling love."

Mimi shot Momo a stare of disgust.

Arisa giggled. "That's cute."

"Not," protested Mimi, shifting her gaze to Arisa. "Stupid Brother is my rival. I will show mom how skillful I am for my age, surpassing Stupid Brother's record."

As Mimi fixed her messed hair, Arisa wondered if she would witness a day where Mimi and Kazuya got along. In the last month, she had lived with the Haruki family, all she saw was them annoying each other.

"Great," complained Mimi, sighing. "Now I have to ask mom to braid my hair again."

As soon as Mimi said those words, a white-haired lady entered the living room, holding a few papers.

"Good news," said Elise, excitement overwhelming her tone. "Dan said he's traveling to Earth after tomorrow, so he's available to take Arisa and Kazuya along."

The sound of a plate cracking on the floor leaped Arisa's heart. She gazed at her left side and saw that her grandmother had dropped one of the plates she was placing in the cabinet.

As everyone's attention fell on her, her grandmother bent over a little and picked the broken glass.

"Is something wrong, Mrs. Sorano?" asked Elise, her tone worried.

"I'm sorry," Arisa's grandmother replied. "I was distracted."

Arisa rushed to the other side of the room, joining her grandmother in picking the remaining broken glass.

"Ah, I'm so clumsy," her grandmother whispered.

As they picked the broken glass, Arisa gazed at her grandmother for a second. Despite her grandmother displaying a warm smile, Arisa could see that she was sad.