⊱⊰ 15: A Mother's Heart [Revised] ⊱⊰

En found his four-year-old self trapped in someone's arms. He shifted a bit in an attempt to move away from them. The arms wrapped around him tightened even more as he failed to free himself.

He didn't give up and fought against what was trapping him.

"Wow, calm down, my dear," said a gentle voice. "It's me. Don't you recognize me?"

Upon hearing that familiar voice, relief flowed in En's body. He gazed at the woman in front of him. Bright green eyes, that had shades of yellow on their contours, stared back at him. He blinked, recognizing his grandmother.

"We're about to see mom," said his grandmother, rubbing his back and smiling at him.

Before En could say anything, his grandmother walked forward as someone opened a door. As they entered the new area, En noticed that Kraden was the one that had opened the door for them.

Gazing across the spacious room, En spotted the walls that had different colorful details garnishing them. Looking up, he saw the chandelier that bathed the room with its white light. He blinked twice, his heart speeding as he recognized this room.

As they approached a large four-poster bed with red colored fabric cascading to the carpeted floor and hiding whoever was lying on it, En tried to move away from his grandmother's arms.

"Mom." En hit his grandmother's chest in an attempt to force her to let him go.

"Alright, alright," said his grandmother, bending over a little and dropping him down.

As soon as his grandmother set him free, En rushed toward the bed.

"I think we should leave," said Kraden. "To give them privacy. After all, his mother requested to see him. "

En's grandmother nodded. "You're right. Yueli hasn't seen her son since she collapsed; it's been almost a week since then. I'll see her later, let's go."

"Mom, mom!" En kept calling, a huge smile spreading across his face.

Before he could reach his target and move away the heavy curtains to embrace his mother, something held his right shoulder, forcing him to stop. En turned around and met a well-built man in dark clothing, bending over a bit to look at him.

"Dad," said En, noticing seriousness in his expression.

"En," said his father, rubbing En's shoulder, "you shouldn't run and scream around like that. Beside hurting yourself, you'll disturb mom."

En tilted his head as his father's green eyes met his.

"Disturb mom?" he asked. "Why?"

"I-is that my little prince I'm hearing?" a weak voice filled the atmosphere before his father could say anything.

His father stood up, holding En's hand. "Yueli; you're awake."

"I-I can't sleep," said En's mother, breathing heavily. "Every time I close my eyes, I feel as if I won't wake up. I want to see my son before my body gives up."

En tightened his small hand around his father's fingers as he finally moved the curtains hiding the lady lying on the bed.

"Don't say that." The bed shifted a little as his father had a seat. "You'll survive this."

"I'm not sure if I'll be strong enough this time," said En's mother, her voice quiet. "Even though the treatment is helping with the pain, I feel as if my body is getting weaker every day."