⊱⊰ 44: Ellanie's Tale ⊱⊰

"Pardon me." Edward frowned. "I'm afraid I didn't hear you clearly."

The woman focused her eyes on the ranger, clearing her throat. "I would like to take care of this case."

As silence fell for a moment, Arisa clenched her fists, trying to fight against her weakness. Despite having removed the rune, the trembling in her body persisted. Even though she needed something to recover, Arisa couldn't help but worry about how they could escape.

"I want to talk to them," continued the woman.

Footsteps filled the atmosphere as the lady approached the team. With her heart racing and heaviness pulling her, Arisa slowly raised her head. Her eyes widened. It was as if everything had frozen when she finally saw the woman's face clearly. Arisa didn't react, sitting still.

The woman shifted her view back at the ranger, who stood there confused. "Mr. Edward, please leave us for a bit. I would like to talk to them in private."

"What are you up to, Ellanie?" asked the ranger, his brow raising.

"So it's really her," whispered Thelma. "Taurus' wife."

Despite doing her best to keep calm, Arisa breathed heavily. She could feel a droplet of sweat running down her temple. She wasn't sure if it was her weakness growing stronger or her fear at the confirmation of the woman's identity. Either way, they were in serious trouble.

"Nothing," said Ellanie, shaking her head lightly. "I only want to talk to them."

Edward didn't move from his seat, gazing at her with concern. It took him a few seconds to cross his arms and look away thoughtfully.

"You don't have to worry," said Ellanie. "I'll take full responsibility if he finds out. You'll be fine."

"It's not me or my team I'm worried about," said Edward, focusing his coffee eyes on her. "It's you. You already put yourself on that dangerous activity, mixing yourself with these people will only make things worse."

Ellanie walked across the small office and grabbed the only vacant chair.

"If he hasn't found out about that activity," she said, approaching her chair to the team, "he won't find out about them. As long as you haven't sent your report."

"Even so, it's still dang—"

"Don't worry about me, uncle," Ellanie interrupted him. "Caleb won't let me die even if I want to. He would never hurt me. At least physically."

Still fighting against her weakness, Arisa gazed at the woman in front of her. From what she was hearing, it seemed as though the Empress' relationship with her husband wasn't as sweet as she heard around or saw on the screen. Still, she wondered what she was up to for wishing to talk to them so badly.

"Very well," said Edward with a sigh of defeat. "You have ten minutes."

Ellanie smiled. "That will be enough."

Before he walked away, Edward glared at the team as if he was threatening them that he was watching them. When the sound of a door closing filled the air, Ellanie focused her caramel eyes at the people in front of her.

Arisa's view started to blur before she suddenly rested her head on the closest thing that was by her side.

"Arisa!"

Arisa felt something shaking her head. She slowly opened her eyes, fighting against her heavy eyelids.

"She's trembling," said Thelma, shaking her shoulder in an attempt to wake Arisa. "She must be entering the state of hypoglycemia. It's been hours since we last had a meal. Using that rune for long must've sped the process to enter this state."