⊱⊰ 38: An Invisible Threat [Revised] ⊱⊰

Arisa shakily stood up. Despite her crimson armor having protected her from the impact, she still could feel the pain spreading in her body.

"Are you okay?" asked Kazuya by her side.

Arisa nodded. "Yes. But, what was that? And that voice sounded kind of...familiar."

Even though the voice was completely foreign to her, Arisa couldn't help but find something familiar in that tone.

"I don't know," replied Kazuya, glancing around. "It's probably another Guardian."

As Arisa finally stood up, feeling heaviness in her legs, she noticed that her armor was covered in dirt and grass. She frowned when she spotted several scratches in some part of it. She examined her armored arm closely, realizing that those scratches were deeper than normal.

"I don't see anyone around, though." Kazuya glanced around. "Where's Ansha?"

"Didn't she fall around here as well?" Arisa examined her surroundings.

Her eyes widened when she saw a lightly strong figure fallen under an orange tree several meters in front of them.

"Ansha," called Arisa, running towards her.

Arisa's heart wrenched upon seeing Ansha in that state. Cuts spread across her body, tainting it with a crimson substance. Even her bright robes had signs of rips and blood.

Arisa patted Ansha's cheek lightly. "Ansha, please wake up."

For several seconds, Arisa's heart spread fear in her veins. When Ansha slowly opened her eyes, groaning, relief calmed Arisa's heart.

"Ansha, thank goodness," said Arisa, helping her seat.

"We have to take her back to the palace," said Kazuya. "She seems to have suffered a lot of damage."

Arisa agreed with a nod. "These scratches. How can a simple wind cause such deep cuts?"

A light breeze blew past them, swaying the colorful grass and the pink and orange foliages of the woods.

"That's because it's not a simple wind," said a male voice in the background.

Arisa gasped. She then glanced at her surroundings. Through the many trees filling the environment, Arisa didn't spot anyone. The sounds of the battle on the other side of the wall of thorn-filled roots kept sparking the atmosphere.

"Why are all the Guardians such cowards to the point of hiding themselves after attacking their victims?" asked Kazuya, shaking his head. "This is getting old."

"I agree that we're all cowards," said the same voice in the background. "But I'm not hiding; I'm using my powers. I've been by your side since you set foot in these woods."

Arisa glanced around, noticing that the voice was louder in their area.

"In fact," continued the voice, "I'm here."

Arisa's heart leaped when a black armored figure materialized by her side. She walked a few steps backward and noticed two zigzagged patterns glowing weakly on the Guardian's armored chest.

"Aquarius," whispered Arisa.

"We meet again, Princess." Aquarius tilted his head. "I can finally do my job and go home."

Arisa saw the Guardian raising his hand. Before she could see what he was up to, a white armored figure appeared in front of her. Kazuya immediately hit the Guardian's hand with his double-bladed staff.

"Ah," said Aquarius, his tone calm. "Libra Guy, we meet again. Want a second round from our last fight?"

Kazuya tightened his grip on his weapon. "Even if I said I didn't want to, you would fight me anyway."