⊱⊰ 60: Riddle of the Hidden Master ⊱⊰

Arisa lost herself in her thoughts as she gazed at the view outside the window. She was still surprised how this side of the city looked compared to the popular side. The illumination wasn't that strong, exhibiting a small part of the buildings that filled the neighborhood.

When they reached this area, Arisa remembered relaxing and admiring the view as she saw no sign of royal soldiers chasing them. Examining her surroundings, she noticed that the buildings in this area were improvised. They were made of leftover materials of other buildings mixed with old parts from regular sunken ships and machines designed to explore the underwater world.

Looking at that scene, Arisa felt bad. It was sad to see how two sides of a city looked so different, showing how inequality was alive in this world as well.

Despite the neighborhood's scenery looking gloomy, the beings living in it showed a different story. Arisa remembered how cheerful the Children of the Sea were, always showing a bright smile no matter what. 

She remembered them welcoming Caris and the team warmly. Even though Rayanne told them that everything didn't occur as planned, the Children of the Sea remained optimistic, saying that it was alright, they would find another way to free their brothers.

As the team told Caris that they needed to talk to her, Rayanne ended up taking them to her residence that looked like an old boat with several rooms.

"Nervous?" Garoh's voice washed away Arisa's thoughts.

Arisa returned her view in the medium-sized room. She could barely see the dark brown walls as the light itself was weak. Her gaze met Garoh, who was sitting in her front, looking at Arielle.

"A little bit," replied Arielle, moving away threads of her dark hair that were floating over her face. "It's really difficult to tell someone who you actually are after years of not knowing you."

"What do you mean by that?" Malu's brows touched.

Arielle gazed at him and caressed his hair. "You'll find out soon."

Arisa saw Malu rolling his eyes before he looked away.

"I wish aunt Camille would join us," said Arielle, sighing. "I think I would feel at ease with her around."

As Arielle mentioned her aunt, Arisa remembered being surprised when she saw that Camille and Lala were taken along during their escape from the Royal Plaza. She ended up preferring to wait with Lala in another room while her niece told the truth to Caris.

"It will be all right." Thelma patted Arielle's back. "Don't stress up."

Arielle nodded and exhaled. As the sounds of an opening door broke the brief silence, everyone's gaze fell on the entrance not far from them. The first one to enter was the girl with long black-blue hair that hid her small fin-like ears. Following Caris was the slim woman with curly red hair tied in a ponytail.

"Sorry for making you wait," said Caris, her tone quiet. "Aunt Rayanne had to report what happened in the Royal Plaza to the community leaders."

"It's okay," said Garoh. "Since the Royal Family is not allowed to attack you in this territory, there's no hurry."

Hearing Garoh's words, Arisa remembered when Caris told them how this side of the city was their safe haven. According to this world's history, there was once a good King, who wanted to have good relations with the People of the Surface and protect the Children of the Sea.

Since most of his people disagreed with his idealism and wanted the Children of the Sea to be exterminated as they saw them as a plague, the good King created a law that stated that no one was allowed to harm the Children of the Sea in their territory. If a pureblood from Maré attacked them, their actions would be seen as a declaration of war against the People of the Surface which didn't include only islanders from Oceana but beings from various worlds.