⊱⊰ 28: Faded Snapshots [Revised] ⊱⊰

The orange tone painted the sky as the sun slowly set, darkening the tall wild buildings of Aurora City. When a cold breeze blew past her, Arisa folded her arms. Sorrow consumed her heart as she shifted her view below, meeting the colorful buildings of her neighborhood.

She sighed, placing strands of her long dark hair behind her ear. At around this time, she would rush home to feed Niko, her dear jeweline. Her heart tightened as she remembered her pet; a few weeks had passed since she last saw her.

Arisa rubbed her arms, feeling cold as pain spread within her. A warm jacket landed on her shoulders, protecting her from the chilly weather.

She touched the heavy, black fabric, examining it. <Zen?>

She looked sideways as she heard someone sit by her side.

"I see that you're still spending your days being sad," said a deep voice. "I thought that you were feeling better."

"I-I am feeling better." Arisa curled her fingers on the green grassy ground, not looking at him.

"Really?" Zen raised a brow. "Can you confirm that while looking at me?"

For several seconds, the chatter of people walking below the hill filled the atmosphere. As she curled her fingers even more, Arisa took a deep breath.

"I am," she said, still keeping her gaze on the green ground.

A cold finger touched her cheek. "You're not looking at me."

Arisa didn't drop her gaze at the ground as she breathed heavily. It had been two weeks since her pet's disappearance. Despite still hoping for Niko to come back, she didn't want to worry her family and friends.

A few days ago she had told them that she was feeling better. She tried to be cheerful in front of them to not worry them.

As the people's chatter kept filling the brief silence, cold hands met her cheeks and gently forced her to turn around. Arisa's gaze met concerned dark eyes that were partly hidden by Zen's dark hair.

"Now tell me how you're feeling," said Zen, his tone serious.

Arisa tried to look away, but Zen didn't allow her. She wrapped her hands around his, attempting to remove them. Despite doing her best, she failed to drop them.

"I'll let you go once you tell me the truth," said Zen, a challenging smile spreading across his face.

Arisa looked away. "I told you that I'm okay. Let me go." 

"You're still not looking at me." Zen tilted his head.

Another quick silence fell; Zen squished Arisa's cheeks. Annoyed, Arisa attempted to forcefully remove his hands away again. As she tightened her grip on his wrists, she closed her eyes and fought against him.

A cheerful chuckle filled the atmosphere and Zen finally dropped his hands.

Arisa opened her eyes and saw Zen's joyful smile. Her lips curved up; it was rare to see him laugh like that. He usually would chuckle quietly and look away.

"I just saw the goofiest face in the worlds," said Zen, trying to calm down.

Arisa glared at him, not surprised that he was laughing at her face. As Zen laughed at her reaction, Arisa smiled. Besides her grandparents, Zen was the one who did his best to cheer her up after Niko disappeared. Every day he would try to do something for her and sometimes, he mocked her, making her forget her sorrow for a moment.