⊱⊰ 24: A Trick of the Mind [Revised] ⊱⊰

Arisa took a step backward; she could hear her heart hammering against her chest. Weakness struck her knees as shock flowed through her veins.

Gemini smiled. "We finally meet again, Arisa."

Arisa didn't say anything as she couldn't find her voice. She felt uneasy seeing that Gemini was using Aadila's appearance and tone.

She tried to remain calm, but the horror of this Guardian's past actions haunted her. This was the Guardian that had been willing to kill her at all costs. She clenched her fists, telling herself that she was a Guardian now, meaning that they both were of equal power.

"I had hoped my brother would at least keep Libra busy." Gemini flipped her silver dagger. "And you would find me before Scorpio."

"S-Scorpio is here?" Arisa examined her surroundings, nervousness spreading in her veins.

Through the partially hidden moonlight, only tall dark water walls met her gaze in this spacious road.

"She is," replied Gemini. "But we parted ways due to creative differences. You see, I want you dead right away. But she wants Leo to suffer and fail—and for that to happen, she needs to capture you alive."

At the mention of Leo, a sudden sorrow pierced Arisa's heart. She remembered the rumors that said he would kill her to prove that he was an Eterian. She touched her chest, breathing heavily.

"Zen," she said, almost in a whisper.

"It's En," said Gemini, her tone firm. "I see that you're still denying the truth. How sad."

Arisa gazed at the dark sandy ground, curling her fingers. Gemini was right. To this day, she still couldn't see him as Reiji's son. Whenever she tried to forget him, their childhood memories would always pop in her mind. The eight years of their friendship were difficult to forget, giving her an impossible hope that he would change.

"It's your fault." Gemini's voice forced Arisa to look at her. "If he hadn't met you, his future wouldn't be at stake."

Arisa remained quiet, remembering the conversation between the Eterian soldiers that had invaded her house. They had mentioned how they wanted Zen dead for shaming his people. Her heart tightened at that memory.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, Arisa." Gemini dropped her dagger; it didn't touch the ground as it floated around her. "You bring trouble to others. First En, now Sagittarius' cousin. You should die so you won't cause any more trouble for anyone."

As Gemini's words shattered her heart, Arisa summoned her sword. Her hand trembled as she tightened her grip on it.

What have I done to deserve so much hatred from her?

A sudden realization hit Arisa. She remembered Garoh mentioning that Gemini was jealous of her. She sighed, wondering how such a beautiful feeling like love could corrupt someone.

"I understand your feelings for him." Arisa took a deep breath. "But a woman in love shouldn't hate another. She shouldn't wish for her death just because he was once good friends with her. Instead, she should wish for his happiness.

"After everything that happened in the Forbidden Lands, I'm sure Zen never had any feelings for me. You don't have to worry about me getting in your way."

 A light breeze with silver streams surrounded Gemini. "Didn't I mention before that as long as he's happy, I don't care who he chooses as his partner? You're the source to his unhappiness; I will save him the trouble of killing you and kill you myself."

Clank!

Despite being covered with her crimson armor, Arisa could feel the heavy wind attempting to penetrate her skin. Her hand trembled as the floating dagger clashed against the blade that protected her.