Chapter 23

I freeze as I hear the key in the door lock. It's Vicky who returns just how I calculated it. I burry my face in my pillow and stay as quiet as possible. I can hear her take her boots off before she walks into my room.

"Lola?" She calls but I stay silent. Vicky carefully opens the door, switching the light on even though she knows I don't like it when people turn the light on while I'm sleeping. "Are you asleep?"

"Hm." She approaches me and takes a seat on my bed, resting her hand on my back.

"Sorry for yesterday when I said I wanted my old friend back, I was a little bit too harsh. It's just that I kinda envy your good relationship with Adrien. You and him are so happy while I'm struggling to find someone who is interested in more than just hooking up. You found someone who is rich, good looking... and caring, I wish I had-" she cuts herself off as she hears me sobbing into my pillow. "Lola?"

I'm almost glad I'm crying instead of having to say something about what she has confessed to me. My friend... envies me? She thinks I'm in this perfect relationship, this is probably what Adrien and I look like to other people. Like the perfect, happy couple with zero problems. I wish.

"D-did I say something wrong?" I finally turn around and sit up.

"I'm sorry for making you feel awful."

"No it's not you, it's me."

"Maybe all that wasn't a good idea." I admit more to myself.

"What? No..."

"Yes. I didn't know what I was getting myself into."

"But aren't you happy with him?" She takes my hand in hers.

I'm more than happy when I'm with him, I enjoy every moment we spend together even if we fight, cause I know that after that sex will be more passionate.

"I don't know." I'm quite surprised at my own answer when I know that I'm happy with him. I look at my friend who has a wrinkled forehead, concern is written on her face. She reminds me of my mother... I really miss her.

"What's going on? You can tell me. Is he the reason why you're so drained lately?" I shake my head, I don't wanna put the blame on Adrien. He is trying while I am always complaining. "Does he hurt you?" She asks further. I only huff which worries her even more.

"Does he? Does he beat you Lola?"

"No-" I cut myself off.

"No?"

"No."

"Does he abuse you emotionally? You can tell me everything."

"No he doesn't." Her eyes trail off from my face down to my neck where they linger.

"What are you wearing? Is that a dog collar?"

"It's an accessory."

"He gave that to you?"

"I chose it."

"Anyway," She's visibly irritated and I rather want her to continue talking about the collar than asking me those uncomfortable questions about Adrien. "I have a feeling he doesn't treat you right."

"Why are you overreacting?"

"I'm just trying to look out for my friend. He abuses you doesn't he?"

"You're jumping into conclusions. I said no."

"And no can mean yes. I mean ever since you met him you changed and not completely for the better. You're crying and then expect me to believe that he doesn't hurt you in some sort of way?"