Chapter 33

I turn the light of the living room on, it's a warm color. The space is very big and nicely decorated, luxurious and modern. This is where I will spend a week in, at least that's what we hope. When everything works out with whatever Adrien is planning to do with Georgette, I'll hopefully be able to move back to my home. Although I must admit, I find this home better.

I turn around and look at Adrien quite skeptically. He places his finger under my chin and lifts it as if he were to analyze my face.

"Don't you like it?"

"It's nice so far..."

"But?" I'm hesitant. Of all this.

"What if it doesn't work?"

"Let's not think about 'what ifs' right now. Do you want me to stay here?" Of course I do, but I don't want to give him the impression that I depend on him even though in the last couple of days I've already made him believe that. The truth is, no matter how much I tell myself that I'm over him, I'm just not.

"Only if you want to."

"You know my answer." His face is closer now, but my hand on his chest creates a distance. "I'm sorry. You're still mad at me."

"No."

"Yes you are Lola, I can tell."

"Just because I don't wanna kiss you, doesn't mean I'm mad. I just don't want this kind of relationship with you anymore." He bites his lip in frustration.

"So you made your decision." Did I? I'm not sure if that was impulsive or if I was truly speaking what I wanted to say.

"I don't know Adrien, as of now I don't wanna talk about it."

"I understand." I let out a frustrated sigh. This shouldn't be my priority, but I can't help thinking about this situation more than I should.

"Are you still staying?"

"Is it a problem?"

"N-no. I just wanted to make sure."

The next day I wake up to Adrien not being here anymore, which means he might have left for work. As crazy as it sounds, I slept better knowing that he was here next to me. I felt him wrap his arm around me and I allowed him to leave it there. How can I tell him that I'm still not over him without sounding desperate? Are we both desperate? Cause he doesn't seem to wanna be without me anymore either. This is exactly what I don't get, what does he want from me? He says we're friends, but friends don't act like this.

My head throbs just by all these theories I have created in my head. My main concern is that Georgette is still after me, especially now that Adrien is planning on doing what he's about to do. This week is almost over and the wedding is already in three days. What am I going to do when I see her there? Pretend that nothing happened? What if I'm an easy target there for her?

On the following Monday I go back to work with the expectation of meeting Georgette. She can't be missing for that long, she was probably just trying to make me believe, that I'm safe. As I want to get inside the elevator, I feel a hand on my shoulder. My heart almost leaps out of my chest, but as soon as I turn around I relax. My boss looks at me a little confused about my reaction.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Is there anything I can do for you Monsieur Artis?"

"No. You don't have to do anything for me me Lola. Also please call me Jaques." He extends his arm and touches my shoulder. I'm visibly confused, but he doesn't catch the drift.

"What's going on?" I want to know and he smiles.

"Didn't Monsieur Coste tell you?" He knows Adrien? Or is he talking about another Monsieur Coste?