Chapter 35

"Lola?" A tender voice calls for my name, but rather stays in the distance. "What are you doing here?" It's Marie. She sits down next to me, her hand is soon placed on mine.

"I'm just taking a break from the noise inside there."

"Aren't you cold my dear?" I shake my head. I don't think she's really consented about me not wearing a jacket, rather about the fact, that I'm sitting here by myself when I should be inside.

"Something tells me, it's about Adrien." I huff and shake my head, not trying to look at her, because her seeing me in this miserable state is embarrassing enough. Looking at her will cause a tornado of emotions inside me which will destroy me even further. "Did you argue?"

"No."

"What is it then?"

"Nothing. Really, it's nothing."

"I know you're lying. He's my son, I know him good enough to know that he is complicated. It's bothering you that he isn't really into all this, am I right?"

"Adrien doesn't love me." I blurt out. "He doesn't love me, he never has and he never will."

"That's not true-"

"It is, he never told me he loves me."

"Adrien is not the type to say it, but he's the type to show it. Give him some time and he will eventually be able to say it. You're the first woman in his life he loves besides me and his sisters. Give him some time." She rubs my back and offers me her whine, but I decline.

"Thank you Marie."

"No need to thank me, I'm always here for you Lola."

I decide to walk back in after I get myself together and try to be part of the wedding. I don't want to let this whole drama distract me from tonight, I'm supposed to be smiling for Colette. She's already down, because of Georgette, the last thing she needs is a heart broken girl who makes her wedding about herself. I have to apologize to Adrien, but Priscilla grabs onto my arm and tugs me to the crowd to dance. She doesn't leave me alone for the next few hours, until I tell her, that I need a break. I haven't seen Adrien for so long and I really need to talk to him right now.

"Lola don't go yet, Colette is throwing the bouquet."

"But I have to-"

"Come on, don't be shy." She takes the lead and I quietly follow her to the group of women waiting to catch the bouquet. Great, now I have to let these flowers decide for my future, when I'm already here not sure if I'll even have a man by the end of this day.

"On three!" Colette announces. At the time she counts to three, I see Adrien walking out of the room. Where is he going? "Three!"

I turn around and follow Adrien outside, calling his name.

"Adrien!" He stops, but doesn't look at me. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Okay."

"Aren't you having a good time?" He finally faces me.

"I am. Aren't you?"

"Why wouldn't I?" He pauses to observe me. "I see you didn't catch the bouquet."

"I didn't want to. I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

"You. Us." I step closer, but keep a distance. I don't know what time it is currently, but I'm pretty sure there's not much time left until the contract ends.

"Why?"

"Because I need to know what will happen to us. After the contract ends."

"We'll stay friends." He shrugs.

"Seriously?"

"Lola, what do you want from me?" I clench my fists and try to suppress the amount of anger that has bottled up in me.

"I wanna know what you feel about me, right now. Tell me exactly, what you want."

"Didn't I already tell you?"

"No. Your actions speak louder than your words. You say one thing, but do another. You tell me to stay friends, but you have no problem treating me as if I was more than just a friend. Are you stringing me on or do you actually have feelings for me?"

"I told you I care about you, I'm not stringing you on."

"You're making me believe we could actually be more than just friends."

"That's on you Lola. Maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up, if you don't wanna end up getting your heart broken. I'm sorry, but I can't control the way you feel about me."

"Seriously? That's all you have to say? You don't care that I'm getting hurt, but as soon as I tell you you're selfish-"

"Because I'm not."

"Yes you are right now."

"Because I don't wanna be in a relationship with you? Why are you trying to force me into falling for you?"

"I'm not! You already did!" Both him and I stay silent for a moment, I didn't mean to say this, but I have to let it all out. "You love me Adrien, you do. I know it, but you're a coward. You can't say it, because that would be against your nature. I'm sorry, that I can't be your fuck buddy, I already tried. Either you take me as your real girlfriend or we end it tonight." My breath hitches in my throat, thrown off guard by my very own words.

"I'm sorry."

"That's it huh? It's over. Everything we had, gone just like that."

"What we had?" He almost whispered.

"Fuck you Adrien Coste, fuck you. I don't ever wanna see you in my life and I mean it." He takes a step closer, while I take several steps back. His hand reaches out for me, but he doesn't try any further as he realizes that he has ripped my heart out of my chest. I can't even describe the pain, it's worse than last time I thought it was over.

"So we're not going to see each other anymore?"

"It's already past midnight. The contract has ended. We're done here."

"Lola no. We're not."

"Yes we are. You should've been prepared for this day, don't make it hard for yourself." Adrien clings to his hair and shakes his head as frustration overcomes him.

"I was never ready." He admits, but he's trying to hold himself back from saying anything further. He's so confused and I can't put up with it anymore.

"Me neither, but we'll get over it. Goodbye." There is no turning back, no goodbye kiss. I never knew the last kiss would've been on the dance floor, now I feel like I should've kissed him longer.