Sherlock's Truths [A]

I jog to my flat and reach out to unlock it. As I do the doorknob twists and opens, revealing Sherlock. Without a word he pulls me inside and locks the door again, "Sherlock, what's going on? How did you get into-"

He draws me in for a deep kiss and I melt into it. I drop my bags on the floor and wrap my arms around his torso. He hasn't kissed me like this in a while... Something is definitely wrong. We maintain the kiss for at least a minute before he releases his hands from my waist and backs up, "I-I apologize, Adelaide, I'm sure you weren't expecting that but..." I press one finger to his lips.

"It's alright, Darling. I understand," I move my hand to his cheek and look into his face, "Why are your hair and clothes damp? What happened?"

He reaches up and takes my hand in his, pulling me towards the futon, "I am damp because I ended up brawling with the burglar in Mister Sandeford's swimming pool. I'm fine. Now, I believe it would be best for you to sit down."

"Okay..," I take a seat on the corner of the futon and focus on him, "So what do you need to tell me, Sherlock?"

Sherlock inhales, "None of this is Moriarty. I was incorrect and now the Watsons are endangered."

"Then who is it? And why the Watsons?"

He holds up his hand and I silence, "His name is Ajay. He is a former CIA Super Agent and Assassin who was captured in Georgia during the attack on the British Embassy. He had been sent, with his three other team members, to rescue the Ambassador. He just recently escaped captivity and came here to find the data stick that he had hidden in one of the Thatcher busts," He pauses and then continues, "Because he is after Mary Watson. Mary was his team mate and they were separated, prompting him to believe that she ordered the team to their deaths. Mary Morstan was the name she took for herself after the failed mission."

"So Mary Watson is an ex-Assassin and her past has come back to haunt her?"

"Quite literally."

I lower my head, "And now John and Rosie are at risk too?"

"Indeed. When I met Mary to discuss what had happened she knocked me out and disappeared. She is now on the run, trying to draw her former team mate away from her family. And she took the data stick with her."

Silence falls between us and finally I ask, "But why are you telling me this?"

It's his turn to lower his gaze. He steps to the futon and sits on the opposite corner, "Because John and I are going after Mary. And in our absence you will be vulnerable. Moriarty is still  out there and with me gone, it would be in his favor to strike. As I have told you before, he wouldn't hesitate to abduct and hurt you. His mission is to-" He abruptly cuts off and turns away. I frown and reach over. I place my hand on his knee and lean closer.

"What is his mission, Sherlock?"

He takes a breath and turns back to me, "Moriarty's mission is to burn the heart out of me. That is his goal- his directive that dictates every plot he schemes against me. You are aware that I faked my suicide..?"

I nod once, "Yes. It was all over the news."

"I didn't do it because I wanted to," Sherlock reaches out for my hand and squeezes it, "But everything that happened before falling from that rooftop was Moriarty burning me from the inside out. He set me up for the slaughter. He gave me a choice. Kill myself by falling from St. Bart's, or live and see the deaths of John, Missus Hudson and Lestrade. Then he shot himself before I could wheedle out the release code from him and I was stuck."

I run my thumb over his fingers, "So you jumped to save your friends, no matter that your death would be in disgrace..," He nods and I cup his cheek with my other hand, scooting closer to him, "Oh, Sherlock..."

He looks like the entire world is bearing down on his shoulders. I know he wants to keep everyone he loves safe. The Watsons, Molly, Lestrade, Missus Hudson... Me. 

And that's why he's told me all of this. He wants to protect me from Moriarty while protecting the Watsons from Mary's past. And he doesn't want to leave either behind to be vulnerable, "From the look on your face, you've figured out my dilemma."

I sigh, "Sherlock, I will be okay. The Watsons need you. I promise that I will be fine while you are gone."

"You can't-"

"I can. Alright?"

Sherlock hums, "I leave in the morning with John. We should be gone no longer than a few weeks."

"Then you should get some rest. Tracking a former agent probably won't be easy."

He nods slowly and I know that he's fighting sleep anyhow. Getting an idea, I stand up and walk to the back of the futon after moving my coffee table away, "Adelaide, I will be perfectly fine heading back to Baker street."

"Where you'll spend every minute tearing yourself apart trying to predict where Mary will be. Stay here for at least a few hours and sleep."

It takes a little more persuasion but at five in the morning when I walk out of my bedroom to make breakfast, Sherlock is surprisingly sound asleep on the unfolded futon. I hope he and John find Mary soon.

Thank you for reading!!