Wedding Brainstorming [A]

Once we're seated on the futon with our cuppas Sherlock grabs my laptop, "For reference, of course."

"Okay..,"  I power it up and log in. While it's buffering I take a couple sips of my tea and get comfortable, pulling my legs up beside me. Sherlock sits on the other side of the futon, crossing his legs and leaning back a bit. Once the laptop is completely ready I set it down between us, "There. Now where to start... I guess we could talk about what kind of wedding we'd like to have."

"Not a big one. I don't have very many people I would want there anyway."

"Yes, I feel the same. A small ceremony with only our closest family and friends. It doesn't have to be extravagant either."

"Mmm. The fewer, the better. For many reasons including security."

"Right, there's that too..," I hum, "Honestly I would rather invest more into the honeymoon and just have the small ceremony and then a reception after the honeymoon."

"Reception... After?He blinks and puts his hands together under his chin, "That does have merit, I suppose. I know that at John and Mary's wedding it got quite tedious managing the wedding breakfast and then the reception all in the same day."

"It's tiring, yeah. I've been to many weddings and it just gets tiring, I think, doing everything in one day with so many people bustling around. At least that's what I've observed. If there's a lot of people who can only come on that day, then I see the point, but having the reception after the honeymoon would be better since we have a small, intimate setting in mind."

Sherlock nods, "Yes, I agree. That is a logical strategy," His mobile rings and he answers the call, "What is it, Gayle?" Must be a case.

I go ahead and take our empty cups to the kitchen to clean them while he talks on the phone with the DI. As I'm putting them away he walks swiftly into the kitchen. I turn around, "So? A call to duty?"

"I'm afraid so. Apparently it's a rather gory triple homicide that has the Yard baffled."

"Sounds... interesting?"

"Yes, he says there are quite a few unsettling details of the crime scene. I rate it a level eight for now," He sighs and grasps my hand gently, "I must go but I would have preferred to keep talking about our wedding plans." I smile and hug him.

"Mmm, as would I. But you're needed and I won't keep you from solving such an intriguing case," I walk him to the door and he dons his coat and scarf. Once he's ready I embrace him again and we share a few loving kisses. I play a bit with his lapel when we split, "Stay safe, sweetie."

"Of course I will. I won't take unnecessary risks."

"Good."

He cups my face, "And you stay safe as well, Lovey."

"Of course," I chuckle and he presses a kiss to the bridge of my nose. He steps out of the door and we share yet another kiss, "I love you, Sherlock."

"I love you too, Adelaide. Good night, Angel."

"Good night, Honey."

Omniscient

"Lestrade." Sherlock called as he passed under the police tape and entered the perimeter. The crime scene was a condemned suburban bakery where the three victims had been killed. The brunette cast a glance around as the DI joined him.

"Oi, here you are. Were you with-"

"I was with Adelaide, yes. Now, details. What have you gleaned so far?"

"All males, early forties it looks like. Haven't got positive identification because their fingers and faces were mutilated..." The DI went on.

They finally got to the bodies and Sherlock set to examining them after donning gloves. As he made his deductions he called them out to Lestrade since John was busy that night with Mary and couldn't come.

Then Sherlock looked around the bakery. The men had been left in the back store room where most of the supplies for the business would have been. As the consulting detective ventured out and around he took note of the small blood spatter patterns. This led him upstairs to where the men had obviously been tortured and mutilated.

Then he saw a trail of colourful frosting splotches. Recent and very fresh. He followed the trail to one of the closets and when he pulled it open, he let go of the knob like it was white hot iron.

Right there in the closet was a rather disturbing set up- a neat three tier cake layered with dark black fondant and decorated with yellow icing in random patterns. Right beside the cake was a large knife. Sherlock cautiously lifted the knife and sliced slowly into the middle tier. As soon as he did he dropped the knife. Deep red sauce burst and then oozed out of what looked like chocolate cake.

Then the yellow icing pattern made sense. From an overhead view, the icing made an intricate smiley face.

Sherlock knew then that it was Moriarty's puppet who was then aware of his engagement to Adelaide. Thus the cake presentation.  He clenched his fists and stifled a growl, "No. You won't get her this time."

Thank you for reading!