Stay

"-She's alive, Sherlock."

"Sh-She is..?" Sherlock stammered. Lestrade and John blanched as he continued, "H-How? She froze in the snow and her injuries caused blood loss..."

"I'm not totally sure. But she thawed out and woke up on the table right in front of me. Of course I called upstairs and they came really fast and she's in the ICU-"

"I-I-Is she stable, Molly?"

The Pathologist nodded, "Yes. Adelaide is stable."

He let out a short noise that was between a whimper and a sob. John stepped up and clapped him on the shoulder, "Aren't you going to go see her, Sherlock? That's what you came for."

"She wouldn't want to see me. I could've prevented everything that happened and I nearly lost her," Sherlock shook his head, his eyes finding the tiled floor, "I couldn't keep her safe. Why should she want to see me when I failed to protect her?"

"You found Adelaide, Sherlock. You saved her- right in the nick of time. And you did everything you could." Molly replied. John squeezed his friend's shoulder.

"And you're her boyfriend. I'm pretty sure she'll want to see you. Don't you want to see her?"

"... I do want to see her."

"Then get up to the ICU and see her, Sherlock!" Lestrade cut in, "Be glad that you can go say Good Morning  and not Goodbye  to her."

John added, "Adelaide isn't going to be mad at you for what happened. That's not her nature. She will want to see you, mate."

"It'll make her very happy if you do go to her, Sherlock. Patients normally fare far better when their loved ones are with them." Molly hummed.

After considering their words for a minute, Sherlock turned away from them and walked to the counter. He threw on his coat, arranged his scarf, and pocketed his gloves before nodding soberly to his three friends. The detective took a shallow breath before exiting the Mortuary and John sighed, "I should go, just in case."

"Of course." Then the army doctor followed along, leaving the DI and the Pathologist alone.

The former cleared his throat, "I hope that that will go well."

"Me too. But I'm not too worried."

"Aren't you?"

"Nope."

Sherlock took a shortcut to the ICU and was led to Adelaide's room. He looked through the glass doors and glimpsed the machines that were surrounding her. The door automatically slid open and he slowly stepped in.

Adelaide was asleep on the gurney, clothed in a hospital gown and covered up to her chest with thick blankets with her arms on top of them. In various places there were bandages, but she wasn't blue and that relieved Sherlock. She had a nasal cannula, ports for intravenous medicine and saline, and of course she was hooked up to every monitor as she could be.

He walked to her bedside and grasped her left hand. It wasn't freezing like it had been. It was cool like it normally was. He brought the single plastic chair in the room as close as he could get it to the gurney and sat down. Then he lifted her hand to his cheek, lightly pinching her wrist. He let out a shaky breath of relief that bordered on a cry when he found her pulse. The one that had stopped the night before and why John and the Coroner had declared her dead. It was there. As strong as ever. But she is still fighting.

Sherlock kissed her hand and stroked from her wrist down to her elbow, "Sleep well, Adelaide. I will be waiting for you to awake," He whimpered as a couple tears fell, "I'm here. I won't leave your side. So please stay here with me, Love. Please stay.  You've come this far... Keep fighting."

True to his word, he didn't leave if he could help it. He only stepped out to use the facilities when John or Molly made him. While she didn't wake up that day, her condition improved to where the doctors said she would wake up and recover fully without complications. Molly obliged to run a few tests on Sherlock's request to determine if there had been anything else at play in Adelaide's system.

Finley, when he first arrived, tore into Sherlock and was absolutely fuming about everything that had transpired. The consulting detective, surprisingly, took it without saying a word. But his anger subsided once John took him aside and enlightened him to the entire story. The younger Cavanagh was still upset but redirected it towards Moriarty and whomever had done this to his sister instead of Sherlock.

By nightfall Mycroft had gotten involved too and had moved Adelaide into a private suite once she was given the all clear. Sherlock dared to ask why, as the umbrella-toting Holmes had dropped by, Mycroft replied, "Because she could very well become more than my idiot brother's girlfriend."

Thank you for reading!! Love you guys!!

Shout-Outs to::

charityisirrelivant

iamsherlocked64

mmkn2005

VelvetVanity

Annagamergirl9

JohnLocked2004

phoenixfire1127

klever_kim

LOVE Y'ALL!! 😘