Carlyle

"Please don't make me..." 

Once Lestrade was on his way, John and Mary gave their word to keep Carlyle there until the Yard could take him. Sherlock then hailed a cab. He wanted to get Adelaide back to the safety of her flat as soon as possible. She still hadn't spoken much at all. And much as he wanted her to tell him what Carlyle had done to her, he wanted her to feel that she could trust him enough to tell him without him forcing it.

The entire cab ride was silent. Sherlock kept tabs on the Watsons and Carlyle via text while informing Mycroft and Finley. Adelaide snuggled under his arm and into his chest, still shaking as she tried to calm herself down. Every time she sniffled or whimpered he pressed a gentle kiss to her crown. I will determine Willoughby's reason for coming here to London. She deserves to know that in the very least. 

He helped her up to the flat and she opened the door, entering first. Sherlock watched and closed the door behind him. Adelaide padded over to the futon and curled up into a ball on the corner, "Th-Thank you, Sherlock. F-F-For letting Mr get away from Carlyle."

"Of course, Love," He stepped towards the kitchenette, "I'll make some tea. Would you like anything else?"

She shook her head, "N-No, just tea is fine."

He nodded and quickly brewed two cuppas. He got a packet of biscuits as well and brought them out with the tea. Adelaide accepted her cuppa and he sat down on the futon with her. After allowing a few minutes for her to wind down a bit, Sherlock cleared his throat, "Was he a boyfriend of yours, Adelaide?"

She shook her head, "No. We grew up in the same neighbourhood, attended school together... We were good friends as children."

From her physical responses he deduced further, "He developed an interest in you that was not reciprocated."

She nodded, "Yes. We had just finished secondary school when he came up and asked if I would be his date to a party. After that he was certain that we were actually dating. He told everyone he could that I was his girlfriend. And I didn't hear about it for a month because I had gone with my Nan to Paris. Then I got home and everyone was all over me and him being a thing..," Adelaide buried her head in her pulled up knees, wrapping her arms around her legs. Sherlock rested his hand on her arm and frowned, "When I got ahold of Carlyle and informed him that we weren't dating and that it wasn't appropriate for him to have jumped to that conclusion, I thought that would be the end of it. After all I was heading off to Uni and wouldn't be seeing him if I didn't want to. But it just got worse from there..." She sniffled and shook her head.

"What did he do to you, Adelaide..?" He coaxed. Adelaide tensed up and he stroked her arm, "Angel, he hurt you. I don't want him to continue harming you through your memories anymore. And I would much rather hear it from your own lips than from Finley or Willoughby."

She shook her head once more and her breathing picked up sharply, "C-Carlyle... He came to Uni and tracked me down..I told him to leave and he did, but he kept sending me letters. All of them about me and him and how we were meant to be together. I told him to stop and I told the Police. B-But he still found ways."

"Shhh, He's not here, Adelaide. You are safe," Sherlock reassured gently, "Take a few deep breaths for me, Love. In and out..."

But she continued, "Sherlock, Carlyle  waited until I went back a couple years ago. Then he cornered me, professed his love and then demanded that I tell him why I wouldn't date him. I told him why and he went into a rage. He believed that I was playing hard to get and so h-h-he just forced himself on me! I didn't know what to do. And he was just as strong then as he is now. He pinned me and I tried to get away- I couldn't break free so I made noise and screamed for help. He got so close, Sherlock, I thought that that was it. My Nan and a few others heard me and came in time..."

"But the damage had been done..," Sherlock finished for her. She nodded, still not looking at him, and told him what had happened after that. Sherlock's fists clenched and he relayed as much as he could to Lestrade and Mycroft. The British Government said in turn that he would approve a severe restraining order against Carlyle, among other things. The DI responded and said that he had officially arrested him on several charges and that he wouldn't be out on the streets for a long while.

Once the Police business was taken care of, he refocused on her and pulled her into a tight embrace, "Wh-What?" She stammered as he kissed her temple.

"Everything is being taken care of. Willoughby will not harass you again, Love." He informed her and she whimpered, nesting her face against his neck and hugging him back.

"Thank you, Sherlock. I love you."

"I love you too, Adelaide, and I will keep you safe. Never doubt that."

Thank you for reading!!