Final Hours

The Next Morning  

It hadn't been an especially early, but Sherlock and Adelaide experienced similar wake up calls. In Adelaide's case, Tara, Finley, Nora and her grandparents woke her up with a symphony of blaring music and party poppers. And after a round of teary-eyed embraces they went downstairs for a special breakfast.

John opted to take a slightly more intense approach. Since the British government had had to give his younger brother a tranquilizer to get him to sleep after keeping himself and the others up till one by worrying about the wedding, and probably because of exhaustion from the Stag Night, the curly brunette was practically dead to the world and unresponsive to his alarm. Thus the army doctor went in and woke him up military style to get the detective moving, with a little help from Greg and Mary. Once Sherlock was up then they hurried to grab their own breakfast, replete with plenty of lighthearted jokes and teasing.

When they made to head over to the Castle they found themselves in a misty rainstorm. Sherlock wasn't one to believe in superstition. However, rain on the morning of a wedding was said to be a sign of good luck and fortune. And while the brunette was outwardly calm, he was inwardly nervous. If anything, I hope that this rain is a good omen rather than the opposite.  He thought to himself as he watched the English coast pass by, admiring the choppy waves as the crossed the bridge to the Isle of Portland.

Of course by the time they finally pulled up to the Castle and got out, the rain had subsided and wrought a crisp, sweet aroma from the gardens that blended well with the sea breeze. It boosted everyone's spirits as they carried everything in from the cars. Once that was sorted, Sherlock and most of the guys went down to the beach for a short cruise around the Cove while the ladies began their spa treatments. Meanwhile, Mycroft and Nora oversaw the setting up for the ceremony.

Upon returning, the rookie sailors were ushered into the Stag suite to shower and get ready. Sherlock dressed in his light gray-blue suit and teal coloured tie, pinning on his seashell boutonniere as he occupied himself in his mind palace. He made a few adjustments there, room by room, before resurfacing in time to thwart an attempted prank from Finley.

Adelaide got her nails done in delicate french tips and was feeling quite relaxed as they moved on to her makeup and hair. The Castle's provided hairdresser, Saoirse, talked animatedly with her as she trimmed and then began styling her golden locks. After gentle teasing and pulling, the result was a tidy little chignon-twist at the nape of her neck with only two curled tresses left loose to frame her face. Then came the seashell and pearl ornament that wrapped from her forehead to the base of her chignon like a garland. It had been Iona's own pearl tiara but they'd had it remade with the shells. After that she had her make up done- mostly natural with a pop of tiffany blue eyeshadow, as the color theme for the wedding was shades of blue, with accents of white and gray.

Then she slipped into her v-neck  wedding dress. It was a bright white and embroidered with flowers and other designs, with flowy short sleeves and a short train. Adelaide grinned and spun around a couple times, admiring her reflection in the full length mirror. I'm actually marrying Sherlock today!  She giggled to herself and then went to put on the rest of her jewelry. Simple pearl drop earrings and the locket that Sherlock had given her. Once she had stepped into the blue-beaded sandals she had chosen, for practicality and comfort, then Iona put on the veil. It was thick white and came down to her knees, anchored with a clear comb just over her chignon.

Brielle, who had been photographing every moment, clocked their progress and then whisked all the ladies away for portraits in and around the Castle. Sherlock caught a glimpse of the bridal party from the window whilst he and Greg were going over the script again, already done with their portraits. Adelaide wasn't visible for more than a moment but still his eyes lingered. Greg noticed and chuckled, "Oi, Sherlock, no peeking."

"I can't quite help it, Gavin. And it's not like I haven't seen the dress.  helped her choose it."

Greg let it drop and they returned to the script. After which the DI left to take a work call and Sherlock made his way to where he and Adelaide had agreed to meet for a quick first look before the ceremony. He reached the designated spot in the library. He closed the doors behind him and then stepped further in before halting, hearing Adelaide's footsteps from behind. She came up and wrapped her arms around his torso, "Hello, Darling."

"Hullo, Love."

She giggled a bit, "It was hard giving them the slip. We'll have to make this quick."

"Most likely," Sherlock turned and backed up to take her in. His breath caught and then he smiled lovingly, "You look breathtaking, Angel. Beautiful as always."

"As are you, Sweetie. Handsome as ever, maybe more."

They both chuckled and then Sherlock brought her in for a tight hug, nesting his face against her neck, "I Love You, Adelaide."

"I Love You more, Sherlock."

"I Love You most."

"Aww..." She hummed and planted a gentle kiss on his temple, "I'd better get back now, Darl."

"Yes, you should."

"Then I'll see you under the pavilion, Sherlock."

"Indeed. I will be waiting eagerly for you."

They hugged one last time and then Adelaide pulled away, blowing a kiss to him as she snuck out of the library.

Pictures will be in the next chapter!! Love you all! 😘 Thank you for 8k reads and shout outs to mmkn2005, iamsherlocked64, charityisirrelivant and spoopyperson1992!! Thank you for your support!!