32 Cookies and A Spark

A Few Days Later   

Adelaide hummed and stuck out her tongue a tad as she focused on icing the sugar cookie, "Hopefully these should hold him until I get back..."

She and Tara would be flying to Costa Rica the next morning and would be gone for a week. And out of everything she worried about, Sherlock was at the forefront for two reasons. One was that she knew he would let himself slip on regular, substantive meals and thus starve himself like he tended to do when he was on cases. The second was that she knew he would be lonely and that he would be worried for her safety while she was gone. Her solution?

Two big batches of hand-stenciled sugar cookies, specially decorated. She would divide them into a week's worth of cookie bags so that he would have a snack that he could not resist for every day she was gone. He's never been able to resist them before. And they should at least remind him to eat actual meals. And Missus Hudson will be in charge of the baggies, giving him one a day. So I know he won't eat them all at once or forget them. 

She smiled at herself and her work, "Nan might actually approve of my piping skills with these! Ha!"

Then she heard Sherlock at the door. She called for him and mentally crossed her fingers. Please let him like these. 

Sherlock walked in and was met with the aroma of fresh baked goods. One of the scents he could directly associate with Adelaide. He smiled and made his way to the kitchen, "I presume that you made today baking day, Lovey?"

Adelaide looked up and smiled at him, "Yep! Wanted to do it before I went on holiday!" They leaned in and shared a kiss. Then he stood back and took in the cookies. His face quirked when he saw the icing decorations, "Wh-What do you think?"

Usually she used cookie cutters. But these were all obviously sliced by knife into a diverse myriad of shapes. There were some hearts, a number of music notes, and then two cookies that he knew were meant for him. The theme of these was obviously crime scene.

A Magnifying Glass and a rectangle cookie striped black and yellow. Police Tape.

"So...?" She asked timidly.

He looked at her, having deduced why she had baked so many, "You made thirty two cookies for me?"

"Yeah... I wanted to make sure that you had three cookies for almost every day I'll be on holiday. I was hoping that they would also help remind you to keep yourself fed. You don't always remember to eat when John or I aren't making sure you do get meals and snacks..."

Sherlock glanced at the cookies and then looked back at her. He couldn't quite decide how to react. After a few moments he finally said, "Thank you, Angel. They're excellent."

"You like them..?"

He nodded and smiled, "Yes, Adelaide."

Adelaide lit up and let out a brief squeal of excitement, "YES!! I was hoping you would!!" She launched towards him and hugged him tightly. It took him off guard and he actually stumbled back because of the sudden inertia.

He caught himself on the edge of the counter and as his hand gripped the edge he looked down in time for her to look up with a bright smile, giggling. Then he froze, gazing through her glasses and into her sparkling baby blue eyes. His heart swelled almost painfully, beating rapidly in his ribcage as his cheeks flushed rosy pink. It felt like a shock of electricity had pierced straight through his heart.

The woman I love, smiling and giggling just like this, holding me like this... I want this everyday...

He couldn't deny that that was the spark  that he had been waiting forIt came on like a freight train, just as John had suggested, and he couldn't help but to commit the entire sensation to his mind palace. He wanted to remember it because he knew right then that he wanted to marry Adelaide Cavanagh.

He couldn't do anything else but lean down and plant a deep kiss on her lips. She reciprocated and when they split, he placed his right hand on her lower back, "D-Dance with me, Adelaide?"

She giggled again, "Sure, Darling!"

He took out his mobile and quickly put on some music, then took her left in his right and they started dancing right there in her kitchen.

Hope you enjoyed it! Love y'all!! 😘❤