Perspective

The Next Day  

Sherlock walked up to Adelaide's door and knocked his pattern. As expected she called for him to come in and he complied.

When he walked in he found Adelaide sitting with Tara Dawson, her best friend, on her new futon. They each had a mug of what he deduced was hot cocoa and were studying Adelaide's laptop. She looked up with a smile and sprang to her feet, placing her laptop in Tara's lap so that she could greet him with a kiss and a hug, "Hey, Sherlock!"

"Hullo, Lovey," He kissed her cheek and smiled, "Finishing up planning for your trip?"

"Yep! A week in Costa Rica! We're just nailing down the last few details for our itineraries."

Tara chuckled, her hazel eyes sparkling, "That girl's got her heart set on a jungle hike!"

"Hey, it's not like a two hour hike will do us in, Tara."

Sherlock stood back and watched as the two playfully bantered about their tropical vacation. Finally Tara shook out her pixie cut black hair and stood up with a light smile, "Right. We'll just see about that hike. Anyways, I've got to get going. Those rooms aren't going to design themselves."

"Of course. See you later, Tara!" Sherlock went and sat down on the futon as the two walked to the door, chatting a bit more. Once Tara had been seen off, Adelaide returned to the kitchen, "Sorry about that, Hun. Tea?"

"Yes, please."

"Of course," She quickly brewed up a cuppa for him and brought it out. Then she sat down beside him on the futon and picked up her laptop, saving the vacation plans and then powering it off. Sherlock took a few sips of the tea while he gathered his thoughts, "How has your day been, Sherlock?"

"It has gone quite well."

"That's good to hear. I know you've been having a frustrating time with the Wycombe Case."

Sherlock nodded and then set his cuppa down, "Adelaide?"

"Hm?" She was flipping through the channels on the telly. He exhaled and leaned back against the futon, crossing his legs. Play it cool.

"I wanted to discuss something with you. Something important."

She turned her head to look at him and turned down the telly's volume, "What is it, Darling?" She pulled her legs up beside her, creating a little nest.

"What is your perspective on marriage?"

She blushed hard, taken by surprise, "W-Well, Sherlock, my belief is that it is the apex of a romantic relationship between two people, starting with friendship. I think that you should marry your best friend and lover because you both love, respect and cherish each other. It's more than a contract- at least to me it is, because you're agreeing to give of yourself to your significant other without a time limit. Marriage is where two people come together to be one and whole for the duration of their lives together."

"And in the future, you wish to marry too?"

"Y-Yes," She laughed a little nervously, "What's bringing this up, Sherlock?"

Careful. You don't want to blow this.

"Marriage seems to be the stopping point in the development of romantic relationships. At least to many I observe."

"Maybe to some. But to me, it's not."

"Oh? Do elaborate."

"Well, it's the apex. That doesn't mean that nothing will change. Many married couples I know just continued to develop their love stories and romances once they were married because they kept working at it. You can't work up until the wedding and then think you're good to go. That's I think where many problems come from in marriages, especially if you've married a stranger instead of a friend."

"Hmm..," Sherlock considered her for a moment and then ventured, "Adelaide, do you see me as your friend?"

She nodded, "Of course I do. I see you as a best friend. You're more than just my boyfriend, Sherlock," And then she got shy, "Wh-What about you? Don't you see me as a friend?'

"Of course, Adelaide. You're one of my best friends too."

Adelaide smiled lightly, "When you marry your true best friend, then you have a friend for life who will stay by your side, lift you up, support and love you for the rest of your life. At least that's what I believe... Is that good elaboration for you, sweetie?"

Sherlock nodded, "Yes, it is," He inched a bit closer and grasped her hand, "Angel?"

"Yes, Honey?"

"Would you ever consider... marrying me?"

Instead of blushing like he'd expected her too, Adelaide hummed as if she was contemplating one of life's greatest problems before giggling, "Yes. I guess I might consider marrying you."

In her mind, Adelaide knew that he was probably just curious about how she felt about marriage and such. She knew that Sherlock wasn't an avid supporter of such institutions. But it did give her some hope. Don't get too hopeful though. Neither of you are in a big rush. Let things happen naturally, Ada.

Sherlock smiled happily at her answer and leaned against her shoulder, "I love you, Adelaide."

"I love you too, Sherlock." She kissed the top of his head and ruffled his curls.

Double update!! Stay tuned for more #Sherlaide!! 😘