Adelaide's Relatives

Two Days Later  

Sherlock took a breath and steeled himself as he approached Finley Cavanagh's flat. His sole purpose for visiting his girlfriend's brother was to hopefully get his blessing for their marriage. He had debated for a couple of days before deciding to finally go and ask. Eventually he had acknowledged that since Finley was one of a tiny group of close relatives to Adelaide whose support would matter, it would be beneficial to ask for their approval.

The others were Adelaide's Grandparents and Aunt, whom he had met just twice. He was scheduled to take a train to Dorset later that day to ask them in person too. They knew he was coming and they probably had a guess as to why, but for now he was focused just on getting through talking with Finley. It is certainly not going to be as easy as my parents and Mycroft. They all gave their blessings straightaway.

Sherlock rapped on Finley's door three times and then waited. As he did he ran through a number of specific things that he wanted to say. But he didn't have as much time as he would have liked. The door swung open and revealed a somewhat disheveled Finley.

Finley blinked, "What are you  doing here, Sherlock? I assume it's not to play video games and draw."

"I have come to speak with you, Finley. There is an important matter for us to discuss."

The Cavanagh brother nodded stiffly and stepped aside to let in the detective, "This way. Don't mind the mess, I've had a creative burst this past week."

"Mmm," Sherlock barely glanced at the tiny living area and sat down in a chair at the small dining table. He noted that it was littered with art supplies but didn't comment. Finley sat down across from him and the brunette cleared his throat, "Given that you are Adelaide's brother, I thought it would be prudent to talk to you first."

"Is this what I think it is?" Finley asked.

"Yes."

Finley nodded slowly, "So you're here to ask if I will give you and Adelaide my approval, as it were?"

"You are her brother and I know that having your blessing would be exceptionally meaningful to her. As your parents have been absentee since you were young, you  have been defending Adelaide in their stead. You have a right, as it were, to know that I am planning to propose to your sister and give your permission or not," Sherlock took a breath, "I know full well that there is viable reason for you to withhold your approval. But I would not have come here to ask for your blessing if I did not truly love Adelaide. She has brought light and love into my life and I want to be able to live out the rest of my days with the woman who makes me happier than anyone else."

Finley shifted and eyed Sherlock. Then he exhaled a bit, "Well, Sherlock, you aren't perfect. But I can tell you that no other man has made her as happy as you have. I know she loves you. I have watched you two develop as a couple and I can safely say that you two have come so far because you both have worked hard together and do not because of your love and respect for each other. And from what I have been told, you have strong trust in each other as well. Those are crucial..."

It took a minute before Finley sighed and nodded, "Yes. You and Adelaide have my blessing. And I'm sure you know that I can take it back if you don't continue to love and protect her."

"Yes, I am aware, Finley," Sherlock inhaled with relief and they stood up to shake hands, "You have my word. I will take care of her. I can't promise much except that I will work my hardest to provide a happy life for the both of us."

After a couple more minutes Sherlock left, feeling a surge of confidence. He headed back to Baker Street and got things ready, texting John.

Finley has given his approval. I will leave shortly for Dorset. -S

John's reply came quickly.

Good on you, mate! Good luck with the others! -JW 

Thank you, John. -S

If only John could have seen Sherlock's face later when he met Adelaide's relatives. After being lit on fire with questions, her Nan smiled and hummed, "You've got our blessing too, young man. Now what are you waiting for?"

Thank you for reading!!