Holmes' Visit [A]

Three Weeks Later

Sherlock and I walk into the foyer and as he shrugs off his coat Missus Hudson comes out of her kitchen, "Oh good you're here! I told them you wouldn't be long!"

"Told who we wouldn't be long, Missus H?" I ask. Sherlock sighs and takes my hand again.

"Obviously my parents and brother. They've come to see us."

"Oh. I guess we'd better get up there then?"

"Probably, before Mummy comes down here." I chuckle and follow him upstairs after letting Missus Hudson look at the ring again. Sherlock enters the flat first, pulling me in behind him, "Hello, Mum, Dad-"

"Sherlock, dear!!" Missus Holmes exclaims and traps him in a hug, "It's about time one of you boys got engaged! Congratulations, Sherlock!"

"Thank you, Mum." He says almost flatly, not quite receptive to his mother's greeting. Then she and Mister Holmes turn to me. The latter with a more muted expression of joy than the former. Mycroft is simply sitting in John's chair, sparing a single glance that for once isn't critical. Just calm.

Missus Holmes comes over and hugs me tightly. I hug her back as she gushes, "Oh I'm so excited for the both of you, Adelaide! When we first met you I had a feeling that you were the right one for Sherlock and I was right! When he called and told us that he was going to propose I burst with joy- Didn't I, Mark?"

"Yes, we are both very happy for you two." He agrees, smiling as well. I finish saying hi to them and then Sherlock nudges me to his chair, nodding towards his brother while he listens to his mother chat to him. Mycroft and I look at each other and then he speaks.

"I must say Sherlock has found the right match in you. You deserve each other. Really, it has been quite interesting observing your relationship evolve. And yes, in case my brother hasn't informed you, I did give you both my blessing as well."

I smile and try to restrain myself, but I get up anyway and hug him gently. He doesn't do much in response because I've probably temporarily shocked the life out of him. I back up and smile again, "Thank you, Mycroft. I am happy that you approve of me and Sherlock getting married. That means a lot to him, I bet."

Mycroft regains his composure though still a little dazed, "Yes, I suppose it does... And what does it mean to you?"

"It means a lot to me too because I tried hard for months before you said you approved of me as his girlfriend. And I appreciate knowing that those closest to us are in support of our relationship. It would be very hard to continue without it."

Mycroft nods once and exhales, "I only have one request of you, Adelaide."

"And what would that be?"

We're interrupted by Violet, as she's requested I call her, who insists that I come and talk a little more with her and Mark. I give Mycroft a look and he gestures for me to go ahead, so I move to the sofa, taking the end. Sherlock sits down beside me to appease his mother and I grasp his hand. I know he isn't enjoying so much attention and the surprise family reunion. He squeezes my hand and then readjusts so that he's got my hand in his, brushing over my fingers in a steady pattern.

I do a lot of the talking as Sherlock doesn't seem inclined to do so, but that's understandable. A lot of the questions are in general about me anyway, at least in the beginning. Then Violet suddenly asks, "So have you two got an idea when you'll actually get married?"

Sherlock jolts and snaps out of his daze, sitting up a bit more. I somewhat expected it so I reply, "We haven't talked very much-"

"Soon," Sherlock inputs. We look at each other and exchange a couple glances while his parents watch like hawks. Then I nod in agreement with a gentle smile and Sherlock continues, "Soon. In the reasonably near future."

"Yes. We aren't going to rush into it but we won't draw it out longer than needed." I add. Sherlock smiles and squeezes my hand. Violet and Mark continue on with their questions, seemingly impressed with our answers, until I have to head home.

I get up to leave and while I'm saying goodbye to the Holmeses, Sherlock goes to flag a taxi for me. Violet admires the engagement ring while I promise to keep them apprised.

When I step out of the flat and into the stairwell I find Mycroft waiting. I get the hint and ask, "We were interrupted earlier. What was it you wanted to ask of me?"

He straightens up and obviously has a bit of trouble saying the words. But he does, "I ask that you look after him. You've done very well thus far but just keep it up. He does need you, and unlike everyone else he is keenly receptive to you. You've helped him in ways that Doctor Watson and I have tried to do for years. I am entrusting him to you."

I nod, taking this very seriously. Then I step forward and extend my hand. He shakes it and then I give him a light, brief hug, "Thank you for trusting me, Mycroft. I will take care of him. I promise."

Thank you for reading!! 😘