All That Matters

Early The Next Morning

Sherlock had fallen asleep in the chair, with his upper body resting on the gurney and his face in his arms. In one hand he held Adelaide's. He was awakened by the sound of the EKG's projection of her heart beat as it sped up noticeably. His gray blue eyes snapped open and he bolted upright, "Love?!"

As he brought himself up his eyes fell on Adelaide. Sherlock felt his heart skip a couple beats of its own as he watched her head roll to the side. Then she started to stretch. He jumped to his feet, "Adelaide?"

Her baby blue eyes opened just a tad and she exhaled, emitting a squeaky yawn while she stretched a bit more. Sherlock cupped her face and stroked her cheek, not letting of her hand. Adelaide squeezed her eyes shut and then opened them again, blinking a few times, "... Sherlock..?"

"Oh, Adelaide, you're finally awake..!" He exclaimed and brought her hand to his lips for a quick kiss, "How are you feeling, Love? C-Can I get you anything?"

Adelaide looked around the room. Sherlock watched her expression go from confusion to recognition. She cleared her throat a bit and looked up at him, "I feel okay. Just sore all over... What happened, Sherlock?"

"Wh-What do you remember? I need to know what you can remember before blacking out."

Adelaide nodded slowly, "I had just fallen asleep in your chair. I thought it was Missus Hudson coming up. I didn't think about looking and when I told her I didn't need anymore tea, someone responded and then I was attacked," She exhaled, "Th-they put a bag over my head and I couldn't see anything. They restrained me and I couldn't move. It was really cold and they were beating me. That's all I remember before going unconscious. Other than whomever responded to me, they didn't speak. It was almost completely silent... Sherlock, what happened after that? You found me, didn't you?"

Sherlock inhaled sharply and gripped her hand, "Moriarty hacked every security system and took them offline. They also took out Missus Hudson before abducting and torturing you. I had four hours to find you and it started snowing and-" He started to ramble as he mentally relived everything from that night. Adelaide reached up and cupped his cheek.

"Sherlock, slow down."

He sighed and nodded. After taking a breath he continued, fighting tears, "You were left for dead in the snow and ice in Hyde Park. I somehow managed to find you and..."

Adelaide saddened, "And what, Darling?"

He leaned into her hand and a single tear fell down that cheek as he choked, "Your heart had stopped by the time I got to you. I did everything I could but the hypothermia had gotten you and you were frozen solid. I-I tried everything to revive you, Adelaide. But you were gone. John and the Coroner pronounced you dead... and then you woke up in the Mortuary and we knew you weren't dead-"

"Shh, shh, Sherlock! It's alright!" She stroked his cheek, "I'm here, aren't I? I'm okay!"

"But you weren't, Adelaide! Because I couldn't protect you-"

"Sweetie, you can't always control everything that happens, Sherlock. You did your best. It's not your fault, alright?" She interrupted with a soft, loving tone, "I didn't leave you. You saved me before I could."

Sherlock looked so broken at that moment that she freed her hands and extended her arms, "Come here, Darling."

He stared at her for a few seconds before tentatively leaning down and embracing her. He tucked his head into the crook of her neck as she draped her arms over him, lightly massaging his back. Sherlock didn't even try to stop the tears that followed as he sniffled and whimpered, crying from a maelstrom of sentiments that had been bottled up for over two days, "Oh, honey..." She hummed sadly and pressed a kiss to his temple.

"I-I thought I had lost you, Adelaide. I thought that Moriarty had finally s-succeeded in burning out my heart. You were cold and stiff and I-I couldn't find your pulse!"

"Shhh, I know. I'm so sorry you thought that I was dead. I know that Moriarty wanted you to suffer. I'm sorry, Darling." She sniffled.

He shook his head against her collarbone, "N-No. You have no reason to apologize. You're alive and you stayed here with me. That is all that matters, Love." He pressed a kiss to her neck and then inhaled, savoring her natural scent.

Sherlock pulled the rest of his body up onto the gurney beside her and just laid there with Adelaide in his arms. She rubbed his back and played with his curls until it dawned on her, "Shouldn't the medical staff know I'm awake?"

"They can wait a little longer. Just let me stay here."

She giggled, a sound he had deeply missed hearing, "Of course."

#Sherlaide lives on! How will their romance progress now? Stay tuned!! Love you guys!!