Ring Shopping (II) [A]

A Couple Weeks Later

I get out of the taxi and chuckle when I spy Sherlock outside the shop. The first of many that we'll visit this evening, since we planned to go and look together to find a wedding band for him. I smile and hurry onto the sidewalk, "Hello, Sweetheart!"

He greets me with open arms and we hug before kissing a couple times, "Hullo, Lovey. Are you ready to begin?"

"Of course I am. I came prepared too."

"Really?"

"Mmhmm. I have snacks and handwipes. I don't know how long our search for the perfect ring will take, but I will not allow you to go hungry. Missus Hudson-"

He shuts me up with a kiss, "I did eat today! I got chips for lunch, but I always appreciate your concern for my diet, Angel."

We break into chuckles and then link arms, clasping hands as well, "Alright, shall we start then?"

"Yes, Love."

We walk into the shop and I immediately feel sympathy for Sherlock, since he went all over London searching for an engagement ring for me. There are just so many possibilities of metal, setting, and style. Just glancing around makes my head swell a bit. This could be a long night.

I let Sherlock take the lead and we approach one of the display cases. My eyes trace over the selection of rings there and I ask, "Any preferences?"

"Silver or a similar metal to match yours. Simple."

Oh dear.

Whenever he says simple, he means the opposite. That is one thing I have come to learn with him over the past several weeks. So I try and translate that single word into a fuller description.

"So, not flashy but not very plain? Something practical and low profile?"

"Precisely. Isn't that what I said?"

"Just checking."

Keeping that description in mind, I point out a few rings to kind of gauge whether he has any other hidden preferences. From what I observe, he wants a unique style. Unconventional is a better term.  And it's not totally unexpected. He's Sherlock Holmes, and he is unconventional in many ways. I try to point out rings that reflect that, but he ends up rejecting it on sight or once he tries them on we both nix it.

And so begins the long night.

I don't bother counting the number of shops we end up visiting, focused more on the rings themselves and Sherlock. Many of the bands are so similar anyway that the trips in are short. I make sure to refuel with the snacks between shops as well, keeping both of us pleasant and energized.

As we're approaching the doors of yet another Jeweller, Sherlock chuckles and then hums, "This is our tenth shop. I found your bridal set in the tenth shop last time, perhaps that luck will hold."

"Really?"

"Yes. But if we don't find it here, we should probably call it a night. You've got an early day tomorrow, anyways."

"Alright, Sherlock."

We step in and something just seems promising from the get go. And I quickly figure out why. This shop offers customization features that the others didn't have available because they're just so new and trendy. I take a breath and let it out. Maybe this is lucky number ten.

We start browsing and I watch as Sherlock is drawn to a case with trending styles of rings. A few of them we have seen before but most of them are new to us. I smile and watch him peruse the bands, giving little comments or hums of approval or disapproval when he prompts for them.

While he's looking at a wide titanium band inlaid with dark wood, another set of rings catches my eye. At first because I didn't understand what was on them, but once I start looking I can't quite stop.
The selection of rings are diverse in terms of metal and ring style, but they all share a common feature.

Fingerprints. They all have fingerprints etched and engraved into the metal. Some wrapping all the way around or just a single print. On the exterior or interior, raised or sunken in. But the concept is rather interesting and I tug on Sherlock's coat cuff, "Hey, look at these."

He comes over and I know from the gleam in his eyes that he's intrigued, "Fingerprints?"

"It's unconventional but meaningful." I hum as he examines the rings. One of the workers floats over from another couple that's debating and smiles.

"Are you interested in this style of ring?"

Knowing that Sherlock isn't keen on replying, I smile and nod, "Yes we are."

"Just a wedding band for him?"

"Yes, we already have mine. We've been searching for a wedding band for him and none have got him so intrigued as these."

"Well, they are picking up more popularity now. We're one of few stores that offers it on site instead of online. Would you like a closer look?"

"Yes please."

He takes out a few that Sherlock.was eyeing and sets them on the case. He finally speaks, "Thank you." Then the man leaves to attend to another customer and let us look at the rings.

"So, honey..? What do you think?"

To my surprise he plucks one up and turns it over before trying it on. It's a simple brushed tungsten alloy band with a stripe of meteorite around the outside, with the fingerprint engraved on the inside. Not flashy but definitely unique. Low profile and practical as well.

"How do you think this looks?" He asks.

"I think it looks perfect, Sherlock. Do you think you could wear it everyday for years and not get tired of it?"

"Oh, most definitely, Love... This is the one." The attendant returns and he relays his choice.

When we finally leave, the ring has been sized, customization options chosen and my fingerprint has been scanned and an impression of it taken. And both of us are beaming as we exit the shop, "Lucky ten, huh, Darling?"

"Indeed, Angel."

Thank you for reading! Stay tuned, lovelies!! The ring is below. (Hopefully it loads!!)

 (Hopefully it loads!!)