Furniture Fun

The Next Week

Adelaide backed into the door to open it and stepped into the living room, carrying yet another box. She had her earbuds in and was humming along to the current song that was playing. The zoologist set the tote of books down beside the half cleared bookcase behind Sherlock's chair so that she'd remember to shelve them later, then bounced on her heels and turned to go get another box.

She'd finally gotten her stuff sorted and packed, so she and Sherlock had rented a small Lorry to get everything and bring it to 221B Baker Street. He had been helping her with more of the larger boxes but Lestrade had called him down to the Yard for some business, so Adelaide had told him to go and assured him that she would be fine moving the rest of the boxes. She hadn't unpacked anything yet, just put boxes in their appropriate spots for the time being.

Adelaide hummed and skipped down the stairs, grasping the banister to keep from inadvertently slipping. She couldn't help her high spirits and didn't care that she may have looked a little childish. I'm finally getting my things moved into 221B, and the wedding isn't far off. I had my final fitting yesterday for the dress and the Museum is giving me the time I wanted off. Everything's going smoothly!  Her eyes sparkled and she giggled to herself as she went to go back outside to the Lorry.

She opened the door and found Sherlock there with another box. He chuckled, "I see you're nearly done with the Lorry, Love."

"Yep! And I see the Yard didn't need you for long?"

"Indeed. Merely a mix up of paperwork on Donovan's account," She stepped to the side so he could walk in, "There's only a few small boxes to bring up. I'll get them."

"Alright, then. Thank you, Darl."

She kissed his cheek and he hurried upstairs, deposited his load in the living room, and the flew back down to the Lorry. He managed to stack the remaining totes and carry them up in one go. Adelaide locked up the Lorry and then joined him in the flat.

Sherlock had set the boxes down on the desk and had turned to eye the sofa. Adelaide, walking up and nudging him gently, "What is it, Sherlock?"

"I have been thinking that the room could do with some change."

"Change?"  She hummed, "As in..?"

"The furniture, particularly on this side of the room."

"The sofa and armchair?"

"Yes."

"You want to put some new furniture in? Why?"

"Because that sofa in particular has been shot at too many times to count and is musty because of the amount of drywall that has fallen onto it. And I realized last night that since you'll be living here it is only fair that you should have a say in what will be our home together." He answered.

"So, you want for us to go furniture shopping together. That's what you're saying."

"Yes. We're both free for the rest of the day, so we could go ahead and start now."

"Sherlock, I haven't even started unpacking yet."

Nevertheless, Adelaide soon found herself in a furniture shop with a clueless, though well-meaning and eager, fiancé. She waved off the consultants who came up, saying that they just wanted to look around first, and then pulled Sherlock along towards the living room gallery.

Surprisingly though, Sherlock was the one to find a suitable replacement for the current sofa. A modern, black leather futon. It was a bit smaller, sleeker and lighter. Adelaide asked why he wanted a futon and he replied, "Because they've grown on me, thanks to you." They both chuckled and after testing it for quality and function, she agreed with his pick.

Soon after that they opted to keep the Bergére armchair currently in the flat and Sherlock suggested that they instead find another chair specifically for her. Adelaide's shyness quickly surfaced, confusing Sherlock, "I don't want to crowd the flat too much. You do most of your work there and I don't want to get in your way. Besides, I'll be fine just using the futon or your chair."

"And I don't mind you using my chair, Love. But you won't be in my way or crowding the flat if you have your own."

"Honey, it's really not necessary for me to have my own chair."

"But you'd like one."

"Maybe, but I don't need one."

"Come on, you've been imagining ways to rearrange the living room all afternoon. I've seen it in your eyes. Tara has rubbed off on you and I'm sure you have some preferences as to what kind of chair you'd like."

"I thought you were only wanting to change the sofa and the armchair though?"

Sherlock replied, "I want you to have your own chair. John has his and I have mine. The futon, as well as the rest of the chairs currently in the flat, are going to be used by our visitors. If you have your own chair then when we have guests, or clients, it's there for your comfort." Adelaide sighed and smiled gently.

"That's very sweet of you, Sherlock." They shared a quick kiss and she relented. They combed through the gallery until they stumbled upon a swiveling cuddler chair with a matching crescent shaped ottoman. It wasn't oversized or tiny, and upholstered in silver crushed velvet.

Needless to say, Sherlock was rather proud of himself when they finally left the shop together.

Thank you for reading!! Love y'all!! 😘