The Double Date

March

Adelaide straightened her outfit and touched up her lip gloss, smiling the entire time. She and Sherlock were going out on a double date of sorts with John and Mary- out for dinner at Angelo's  and then to a movie. It would be a first for them- going to the Cinema. Sherlock wasn't one who enjoyed going out to see new movies but he had agreed nonetheless, although choosing the movie had been difficult.

But being his girlfriend gave Adelaide some advantages to help persuade him. She would be letting Sherlock throw in whatever organs he wanted into her next batch of cookies, but it was worth it.

She gave a twirl in the mirror and then headed to the living room to wait for Sherlock. As she did she let herself muse about a few things or other. She didn't want to watch Crap Telly, so allowing herself to mull over whatever popped into her brain, She sat back and let her mind run.

For a couple of minutes she thought about Sherlock and how their relationship was going. Since he'd brought up the concept of marriage, neither had made mention of it and Adelaide had quickly let it go. Things had continued as normal as they could for a consulting detective and zoologist. And she didn't mind not forcing the issue. She knew that Sherlock would come around in his own time.

Her trip was in less than a month. Everything was set for her and Tara to fly to Costa Rica for a week and enjoy the diversity of life there. Of course she had to remember to ask Missus Hudson to keep Sherlock from starving himself or getting too obsessed with his problem wall. Should probably note that on my phone.

By the time she got her phone out Sherlock rapped on the door. She smiled, grabbed her purse, and walked over to open it, "Hello, Handsome."

"Hullo, Beautiful," They shared a kiss, "Shall we, Love?"

"We shall." She giggled and locked the flat up, linking arms with him as they headed back out. Sherlock pecked a kiss atop her head and earned another brief giggle from her. His smile broadened. That sound never gets old.

They finally met up with Mary and John at the restaurant and were seated at a booth. Sherlock remained mostly quiet throughout dinner unless John and Mary engaged him. Adelaide let him hold onto her wrist as long as he wanted to, awarding him short kisses every so often when he started to look lonely or dazed. John and Mary exchanged cheeky glances more than once, glad just to watch the couple across from them.

"So, Adelaide, when are you heading to Costa Rica?" Mary asked.

"In a few weeks. I'll be gone for a little over a week with the travel time and all. I'm very excited to be going though."

"Oh I bet! Eager for hot weather?"

Adelaide chuckled, "Tara is. I'm more interested in the animals though." This elicited laughter from the Watsons.

John calmed a bit, "And what will Sherlock do woke you're gone?"

Sherlock tuned into the conversation then, "I will keep busy and await her return."

Adelaide smiled and leaned against his arm a bit, "You'll be okay alone for a week, won't you, Darl?"

He chuckled, "Of course I will, Lovey."

Once dinner was finished they had to book it to the Cinema. They got their seats near the top, which happened to be sparsely filled that day. So the couples spread out for privacy.

It took Sherlock less than a second to flip up the armrest between him and Adelaide. She rolled her eyes playfully, "I know what you're more interested in."

"You."

"Of course." She pecked him on the cheek and rested back in the seat. Sherlock snuck his arm around her shoulders and pulled her against him.

"Better?"

"Mm... Yes. Thank you." He smiled to himself and rested his head against hers.

They didn't move much throughout the film. Sherlock didn't pay much attention, finding it more interesting at times to watch the rest of the audience and Adelaide's expressions. She was absolutely quiet with her gaze transfixed on the screen. When he tried to say anything she would quickly hush him with a look.

That changed the second the movie ended. From that moment she was recounting her favourite and least favorite parts, reviews about the cast, and a general critique of the film. Sherlock watched as she talked herself through it, guiding her out of the theatre.

They finally met up with Mary and John outside the Cinema after weaving through the crowd. The Doctor and Nurse grinned at each other. Sherlock hadn't removed his arm from around Adelaide's upper body- still draped around her form in a mild form of protection. John asked, "Enjoy the movie, you two?"

"Oh, if was wonderful, John!" Adelaide replied. Sherlock nodded, letting his arm slip so that he could hold her hand instead.

"It wasn't dull."

That bloke was definitely more interested in his girlfriend than the movie.  John mentally remarked.

They all began walking towards the Watson's car. The ladies broke off and took the lead while John and Sherlock brought up the rear, "I told you you'd enjoy it, mate."

"I never said I wouldn't, John."

Sherlock's eyes were on his girlfriend though. As she and Mary had raced ahead they got stuck at a light, waiting for the signal to cross. And that's when a guy came from the side, right towards Adelaide.

Thank you for reading! 😘