Outing [A]

One Week Later   

I hum along to the radio, typing notes on my laptop while flipping through three giant books on reptiles. I grab my pencil and underline a few passages before applying a post it with notes and reference info, then keep moving. At least I try to. I sigh and massage my temples. My brain hurts...

Warmth drapes over me from behind and a steaming cup of cinnamon tea is placed on the only open spot on the kitchen table. As it's set down I feel a pair of lips press against my head. I tilt my head up to look at my fiancé, smiling gently, "Hello, Sherlock."

He smiles back and kisses the tip of my nose, "You've been going over those for hours, Angel."

"I know. But I want to get these done so I have extra time to prepare my portfolio on these."

"On reptiles?" He marks my place and lifts the cover to see the title, "Was that what your call was about earlier? Australian reptiles?"

I nod, "Yep. They're wanting to send me as part of the group to Australia. It's a longer trip of about three weeks in June, which is next month."

"I suppose that is reasonable since you haven't been on a trip for the Museum since last year, given everything that has gone on... But for three  weeks?"

"I know, I know. But I haven't been there in a while and if I go then I get to actually do stuff in the field. Last time I was only working in the research centres."

"I don't want to have you gone for so long with the Network up and active again." He sighs. I frown and place my hand over his, which is on my shoulder.

"Sherlock, I haven't made up my mind yet. I still might not go."

"And why not?"

"Because I don't want to be halfway across the earth if something happens to you again."

I can tell he wants to argue that nothing will happen to him but he doesn't, "Likewise. I admit that I still am not one hundred percent after the last episode. If something were to happen then you wouldn't be here to help me pull through. And if something happened to you  in Australia then I couldn't immediately be there..."

"... Well, I've still got time to decide."

"Mmm..."

He steps to my side and leans down. We share a kiss and then he places the cuppa in my hand, "At least take a small break. I'm supposed to be the one who stares at notes for hours on end, piecing data together."

I chuckle and take a sip of the tea, "Thank you, Darling."

"You're welcome, Angel."

Yes, it's been a week since his breakdown and we've been holed up in my flat the whole time. One, his flat is still being cleaned up, the wall is being redone, and Baker Street is still hyped up over the incident. It was hot in the news but Mycroft has been helping with the media and redirected  public attention. Another reason we've not left is because Sherlock is still recuperating. He's had nightmares and a couple of hallucinations, and I'm focused on keeping him calm so that he can work on cases and such from here without another episode.

Besides Mycroft and Lestrade, no one really knows where to find us although we're certain Moran and McDermott are aware. So it's been a mostly quiet week, although tense.

I work on my cuppa while Sherlock returns to the futon, going over evidence for the last case Lestrade dropped off. It certainly helps that he has something to keep him busy. The first two days were extremely tough because he was so restless.

I've gone to clean the teacup and check the fridge to start making a bite of lunch when I realize that we've gone through everything. I need to go grocery shopping. There's nothing!  "Is there an issue, Love?"

"Yeah, I have to go get groceries. We've got nothing else left."

"Then I will come with you."

"Are you sure..?" I look over at him. He's already up, straighten his shirt and putting on his blazer.

"Yes. I'd much rather accompany you."

"Alright then."

It doesn't take long before we're out, flagging a taxi. We end up stopping for lunch at a cafe before heading to Tesco. The entire way Sherlock stays very close to me. He acts like a periscope- constantly watching our surroundings.

Tesco proves to be an interesting endeavour. I can tell straight off the bat that Sherlock has about zero experience shopping. Besides tea, when it comes to picking up food he's almost hopeless. But he doesn't mind retrieving items from the higher shelves for me, which is nice. At the self checkout he makes a comment about how John typically has issues with the chipping machine and his card.

Sherlock obliges to help carry the bags. I can't help but chuckle because it's a somewhat strange sight. We somehow link arms and exit Tesco, aiming to flag a taxi. But right on the curb we see one of Mycroft's sedans instead, with the chauffeur holding the passenger door open. Sherlock walks a little faster, growing concerned, "What is it?" He asks.

"Your brother is upset that you did not inform him that you were leaving the safe house. He sent me to make sure you are both returned there at once."

"Has something happened?" I question.

"No, but something could happen if we don't get back to your flat. Just get in," Sherlock answers. I nod and duck into the back seat, followed by him. The chauffeur wastes no time closing the door and driving off. Once we're back at the bookstore Sherlock propels me inside and upstairs without a word, only to find that the door has been jimmied, "Stay behind me."

Double update!! Thank you for reading!! 😘❤