Passing the Day

The Next Morning

Adelaide woke up and nearly freaked when she realized that something was restraining her. It took a moment before she craned her neck to check what was holding onto her and then let out a breath of relief when she saw that it was Sherlock. Then her face burned red, knowing that neither of them had meant to have fallen asleep like that. But it hadn't been on purpose and she felt better rested than she had been in days. And judging from Sherlock's deep, slow breathing and relaxed form, her fiancé was sleeping quite soundly too. And he had nearly a day's worth of air travel, I'll bet he didn't rest all all on his flights. Just to come here and make sure I'd be okay.  

This brought a smile and she gently untangled herself from the blanket, coat and finally Sherlock's arms. Then she managed to scoot up into a sitting position. When she checked her Vital Signs Monitor she was relieved to see that her heart rate had returned to her healthy, normal bpm. Maybe they'll actually let me go today or tomorrow.  Just then one of the nurses stepped in, "Good Morning, Miss Adelaide."

"Good Morning."

The powder blue scrubs-bedecked woman, named Gigi, walked over and chuckled lightly, "I came in a few times to check on you and neither of you moved. Quite adorable to see a couple like that. Did he get here yesterday?"

"Yes, he flew all the way from London to make sure I wasn't alone. Surprised me last night, so I'm sure he needs the sleep after that jaunt." Gigi then began her standard check up, taking vitals and asking about Adelaide's symptoms, etcetera. The whole while Sherlock did not move, still slumbering on his side beside Adelaide, arms tucked beside him. Once Gigi had acquired a sample of blood to do another analysis, she ducked back out of the room to visit the Lab and drop off the now updated patient file.

Adelaide leaned back against the wall, since she didn't want to disturb Sherlock by rearranging the pillows, and sighed. I hope they discharge me by tomorrow. I can't stand much more of these tests and examinations.  Absently her right hand, despite being sore and stiff, found its way to Sherlock's chocolate curls and she started to delicately stroke them as she occupied herself in her thoughts.

Eventually the sensation did start to stir the detective, and he slowly awoke. Once he detected that Adelaide was not in his arms, he snapped into full consciousness. His gray blue eyes opened and his arms shot out to search for his beloved fianceé, "A-Adelaide!?"

"I'm here, Sherlock. No need to panic." She assured as he bumped against her side. Sheepishly he titled his head up to look at her, cheeks pink.

"Morning, Love."

"Good Morning, Darl. Rest well?"

"I should be the one asking you that, Adelaide," Sherlock sat up and smoothed his bedraggled curls, "How long have you been up?"

"No more than half an hour. The nurse came in for more bloodwork a while ago. You were still sleeping so I let you be."

Sherlock eyed her position and deduced that she had neglected to adjust the cushions appropriately in the interest of letting him sleep, "You should've gotten me up anyways. Now you're straining your back and neck because the pillows aren't right. Sit up a little more, Love."

She did so and he fluffed the pillows before setting them appropriately for her posture. Then he guided her back against them and tucked the blankets up around her hips, "Thank you, Sweetie."

"No problem, Lovey. Now, they haven't brought up breakfast have they?"

"No."

"Tea, then?"

"I suppose that'd be nice."

"Very well. I shall go get some then, Angel. Perhaps grab something light. Do you feel up to eating? I know that you were experiencing nausea because of the treatments."

"Just tea, thanks. I'm not sure if I could hold down anything but that right now."

Sherlock pressed a loving kiss to her lips and put his suitcase and violin case out of sight for the moment, stowing his scarf, blazer and coat with them and just walking in his slightly missed dress shirt to go fetch two cuppas from the canteen. He made his trip as short as possible so he would hopefully not miss anything important.

When Sherlock returned there was a man in a lab coat with her. Likely one of the Laboratory Technicians. He entered as the Tech was leaving, and made his way to the bedside. Adelaide smiled, "Thank you, Sherlock." She accepted the cuppa and they shared a kiss.

"No problem, Angel. I presume that was one of the Lab Technicians?"

"Yeah. He came to tell me the results from the last round of tests."

"And?"

"He said that I am improving and that it looks like I won't develop any new symptoms now, although the ones I currently am experiencing, like the nausea and body pain, may still not abate for a small while. But they're thinking I should be able to leave tomorrow as long as I don't start having lung or heart issues," She explained and took a couple short sips of the tea, "John called your phone just after you left, by the way. I hope you don't mind that I answered it for you."

"No, not at all. I presume he was asking if I'd made it here and if you were doing okay?" She nodded and he hummed, " Of course. I didn't contact anyone last night. I'll have to call the others, I suppose."

Adelaide chuckled, "Probably."

They both finished their cuppas and then Sherlock took out his violin and the sheet music for their wedding waltz. He didn't mind if the rest of the hospital heard him- he just wanted to show Adelaide what he'd composed thus far. So he tuned his violin, rosined and tightened his bow, warmed up and then began to play.

People of course started sneaking to the doorway to see what was going on and listen. Med staff and patients alike. He played a few songs to entertain them before focusing on the waltz. Adelaide listened a few times and then told him what she liked or felt could be adjusted.

The affianced couple spent a good few hours working on what would become their first dance. When they actually finished the song together, early in the afternoon, then Adelaide cheered and Sherlock smiled brightly, reaching over and pecking her on both cheeks. She leaned in and they were about to kiss when someone cleared their throat.

"Should I come back later?"

Sorry for the long wait!! I hope you enjoyed it! Love y'all!!