Surprise

"No, I don't think so." 

But before she could pull the trigger and shoot Sherlock, a blur came from the side and tackled Norbury. She had been so focused on Mary and Sherlock that she hadn't seen it coming and fell, dropping the firearm onto the bench where it bounced onto the cement floor. Mary ran forwards and picked it up whilst Sherlock and Lestrade sprinted to Norbury and her unexpected attacker.

To Sherlock's surprise, Adelaide was the one pinning Norbury. The latter had resigned herself already and wasn't struggling. But a look of defeat was cast over her features. Sherlock grabbed Adelaide by her shoulders and peeled her away from Norbury, pulling her away to the corner, "You Idiot! You could have been killed!" He scolded in as low a voice as he could. John arrived and beelined for Mary, who surrendered the gun to the police and then embraced her husband. Noise overtook the previously mute chamber.

Adelaide, still being held by her shoulders, stared up at Sherlock and finally stammered, "I-I knew that if I didn't do a-anything that sh-she would kill y-y-you. A-And since she was so focused on you I-" Sherlock brought her flush against his chest and rested his head atop hers, throwing his arms around her. He closed his eyes and held her tight. She had just prevented Norbury from shooting him and claiming her final prize. Possibly even from killing him or someone else. And at her own risk, "Sh-Sherlock?"

"This is my job, Adelaide. I have guns pointed at me daily. I would have been fine. You put yourself in danger."

"B-But someone else might not have, Sherlock. I had to do s-something," She replied, talking into his chest, "Aren't we supposed t-to d-defend each other, after all?"

"But she could have killed you. You were lucky. She could have seen you and-"

"But she didn't."

Sherlock exhaled sharply, "I could have lost you, Adelaide."

"And I could have lost you, Sherlock," And then it made sense to him. Sherlock tightened his hold on her and she hugged him in turn, "I'm sorry for scaring you-"

"No. Don't apologize. I knew it would happen eventually but I did not think it would happen so soon, let alone like this," He breathed, "I'm sorry for frightening you. I should not have been so harsh."

She shook her head, "It's f-fine."

Behind him someone cleared their throat. Sherlock loosened his arms from Adelaide and they turned to see Mycroft standing there, "What is it, Mycroft? Can't you see we're busy?"

"I need to speak to Adelaide."

"Mycroft-"

"At once, brother mine."

Sherlock looked down at Adelaide who nodded, "Fine. But stay close. Don't whisk her away to your office again." He let her go with a light kiss on her forehead and she kissed his cheek before walking over to Mycroft, who took her around the corner.

John and Mary walked up then and she let out a breath, "I can't believe she did that."

"Did what?" John asked.

"She tackled Missus Norbury, neutralizing her." Sherlock answered.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, John. Norbury would have shot Sherlock otherwise." Mary explained. John shifted and almost chuckled.

"She's got guts."

"She's dating the world's only consulting detective. She's got to be a little reckless, doesn't she?" Mary hummed, looping arms with her husband.

Sherlock smiled lightly, "I suppose so," Getting an impulse he walked over to Norbury, now in cuffs, and looked her in the eye, "Surprise."

She glared at him but said nothing more as the officers led her away. Sherlock and the Watsons then helped Lestrade calm the group of scientists who had snapped out of their shock and were in a tizzy over Adelaide. Then the Yard converged and relieved them so that they could take statements.

Mycroft walked Adelaide back about ten minutes later. He was unreadable but Adelaide looked as light as a feather. Sherlock walked over to them and the eldest Holmes spoke, "At least you chose a goldfish who can and will protect you, Sherlock."

Adelaide ignored being called a goldfish and embraced Sherlock. He hugged her back and stared his brother down, "I suppose you have something else to say concerning our relationship, brother mine?"

"Yes," Mycroft sighed and twirled his umbrella, "I approve of your relationship with Miss Adelaide."

"I knew you'd approve eventually, blood." Sherlock grinned.

Later, once Sherlock had dropped Adelaide off at her flat and returned to Baker Street, he got another text.

Don't make me regret giving you my blessing. -M

I won't. -S

Thank you for reading!! I hope you're enjoying the story!! Love y'all! 😘