Sally [A]

Two Weeks Later  

"Come in!"

I hear the door open and close. I already know that it's Sherlock. I spare him a smile, barely looking up from the heavy book and notepad in my lap. He hangs up his coat and scarf before walking to the futon and sitting down beside me. I look up again and we lean in for a kiss. I kiss his cheek after that and smile, "Hello, Darl."

He smiles back, "Hullo, Lovey. Busy day off?"

I nod, "Yep. Poring over journals and periodicals, pulling facts for the project. You?"

"A few cases. All level fives. Boring." I lean over and give him another quick kiss.

"Sorry you didn't have as much of an exciting day, Hun. But I do feel your pain."

"Really?"

"Yes. Doing this all day has been rather tedious and boring. But at least you're here with me now."

"Yes, that I am." He goes silent and watches me as I continue taking notes for reference and marking passages in the book. This drags on for a small while before he falls over the book, twisting so that he's laying on top of it in my lap and looking up at me.

I lower my pen and notepad, "What is it, sweetie?" As I wait for him to respond I stroke through his curls.

Sherlock doesn't answer for a few long minutes. He looks like someone said something upsetting. Finally he replies in a soft moan, "Sally... Sally said that you were only marrying me because you're blind to the fact that I am a psychopathic freak, or that you just see me as a charity case and pity me..."

I frown, "Sherlock, you know that she's just trying to stir the pot. Why is it bothering you so much?"

"Because she insulted you- more than what I've told you. She's been going on all week spreading rumors about why you truly agreed to marry me. I can handle the rumours about myself, but I never thought she would go after you like this. You aren't any of the things she's called you and it isn't fair that-"

"Shhh, shh! Take a breath for me, Sweetie," I coax and run my thumb over his cheeks and brows. He inhales and then I sigh, "Sherlock, I know it isn't fair and it certainly isn't right for her to behave the way she does. But you know the truth and you need to stop listening to her."

"I don't want you to be the one that they're bullying, Adelaide. I know that I should not pay attention but the things that Sally says about you are just so vicious that I can't even focus on the cases when she's berating our relationship."

"Sherlock, she's unhappy and even angry or jealous. Those feelings can cause people to do and say very hurtful things. It sucks but you have to remember that in the long run, will any of what she says matter to you? To us?" While he thinks about it I remove the book from my lap, switching it with a pillow, and set it on the coffee table. His head sinks a bit into the pillow and I resume stroking his hair. He takes my left hand and plays with my fingers for a few minutes as well- giving special attention to the engagement ring.

"I suppose that she isn't worth listening to since she has no legitimate bearing on our relationship."

"Mm-Hm," I lean back against the futon, "Sherlock?"

"Yes, Angel?"

"How about we talk about something else now?"

"Don't you need to finish your notes?"

"Mmm, not right now. I've gone through most of the book anyway."

He nods and slowly sits up, "Tea?"

"Yes, of course." I get up, kiss his cheek and then hurry into the kitchen. He follows me and as I'm putting the kettle on he slips his arms around my waist. I smile and lean back into him.

Sherlock rests his chin atop my head and tightens his grip, "Could we talk about the wedding? It is certainly a more positive topic than Sally," I giggle and he hums, "There's what I wanted, Lovey."

"What was it you wanted, Sherlock?"

"To hear you giggle."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's one of my favourite sounds to hear," He sways a bit and then kisses the top of my head, "But, to answer my question..?"

I giggle again and nod, pouring two cuppas and adding sugar and cream, "Yes, Honey, we can start talking about our wedding."

"Excellent."

A little short but sweet nonetheless. Thank you for reading and I hope y'all are staying safe in the summer heat! 😎😘