4. Welcome Back

N E W  Y O R K

Present

"Okay, how about we take a break? I'm slowly getting tired." Eve Farrell Barnes pants slightly as the electricity still dances around her body, the noisy fizzle rushing into her ears. Fatigue is spreading through her veins while her fists loosen up. "The new powers require a lot of energy."

"Your body is probably still adapting to the great force. And it'll adjust better if you train and use it more often." Stephen Strange strictly ignores her request and skids a mandala force field at her without a warning. Quickly dodging the attack, Eve avoids getting hit by the golden energy circle and it bursts into sparks when it bounces against the wall of the Mirror Dimension. They have been training for two days now and it's been exhausting as hell.

"Okay, first off, thank you for the warning." She grimaces and shoots a voltage at him that he blocks with a force field as good as he can. "Second off, I hate training in the Mirror World– "

"Dimension." He corrects her and flies up with the help of the Cloak of Levitation before he creates Eldritch Whips. "And you're clearly holding back."

"Whatever." The soldier dodges his whip strike and forms a blast of electricity, blowing him away but leaving him unharmed. The cloak seems really helpful and protects him well. Eve had to get used to the fact that it's alive. "I just don't want to hurt the person who helped me. And I really appreciate your training and all but can we stop for today, please? I feel nauseous every time we're in here."

Hesitating, Doctor Strange reluctantly gives in and flies down to the ground. With his help, they leave the Mirror Dimension that still creeps Eve out. She hasn't even dared to try whatever he does with the sling ring. "All right. Wong wanted to have lunch anyway."

"Any progress?" Wong asks them when they return to the real world, awaiting them. His first priority is the security of the Sanctum Sanctorum and Eve Farrell Barnes doesn't exactly mean safety. The longer she stays, the more danger they're in.

"She's still struggling." Stephen's answer sounds like it's from a strict teacher and the cloak flies away, back to its place while Strange's attire changes from his blue robe to normal street clothes. Eve rolls her eyes.

"It's also only been two days. Back in the days, it took me months to control my first powers. Now it's different." She defends herself and shrugs. "Besides, we're gonna take a lunch break. You two should go get it, I'll wait here. It's too risky to be seen again after the whole disaster in England."

Wong nods as they walk down the stairs, "Wise decision. We are only in need of money."

"Seriously? You don't have any money?" Stephen Strange frowns at his friend and partner.

"Attachment to the material is detachment from the spiritual."

"I'll tell the guys at the deli. Maybe they'll make you a metaphysical Ham and Rye." Money had never been a problem for Stephen Strange before the accident, he never expected it to ever become one. Glancing at the former Avenger, he hopes that she has some money. "What about you?"

"I had some money left in my bag that was on the ship, so yeah..."

"Oh, wait, wait, wait." Wong intervenes and rummages around in his pockets, taking out the found money. "I think I have 200."

Stephen lifts a brow, "Dollars?"

"Rupees." Eve has never seen Wong smile that brightly, let alone smile at all in her presence. Doctor Strange sighs.

"Which is?"

"Uh, a buck and a half." That's definitely not enough for lunch for three. Continuing the walk down the stairs, Stephen decides to invest his last money in food.