20. Liabilities

"The mass panic has finally calmed down, but what are we going to do about the schools and all the other public institutions? Also, the organizations are falling apart without Nick Fury and Maria Hill, and the UN demands answers for the sudden disappearance of half of all living creatures. We are in a serious global crisis." The United States Department of Homeland Security is trying to fix the world-wide dilemma as they're running out of solutions. The CIA agent Everett Ross helps as much as possible to gather more information.

"What about the NSA? Has anyone contacted them?" Ross asks and the agent shakes his head, telling him that they know nothing. To Everett Ross' disappointment and shock, King T'Challa belongs to the people who vanished and he couldn't reach any of his contacts in Wakanda. They are probably occupied with handling their own country.

Someone knocks at the door and enters the conference room, the Asian agent interrupting the meeting and looking at the CIA agent. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but Agent Ross, you have a visitor."

Everett Ross doesn't bother to look up from his tablet. "Please, tell them to wait. This is an important matter and we have to take care of that first– "

"That's why, I'm here." Eve Barnes' voice pulls Agent Ross' eyes away from his screen and he and the other agents are taken aback by her presence when they see the fugitive in front of them. Carelessly, Eve walks into the room and the woman who let her in closes the door to grant them privacy.

"Mrs. Barnes..." Ross mutters entirely puzzled and none of them knows how to react, being rather tense around her. Technically, she's still a criminal. "I didn't expect you to be here, given the Accords– "

"The Accords are our least problem right now. I'm offering my help." Eve says truthfully.

"Your help?" A man from Homeland Security, Agent Miller, scoffs and folds his arms over his chest, sending the Avenger a glare. "Tell us why we shouldn't arrest you right now."

"First off, you wouldn't succeed." She narrows her eyes. "Second off, I have answers and I can help cleaning this mess, let me take over SHIELD's position. Though I'm only here because Agent Ross is the only one I can imagine to trust."

"What?" Everett furrows his brows in confusion. He's probably the only one in this room who doesn't even consider arresting her.

"T'Challa trusted you." Eve reasons and her iron expression softens slightly at the mention of their mutual friend. "And he didn't trust a lot of people, so I could consider trusting you not to arrest me or any of my friends. Do I have your word, Agent Ross?"

"This is insane." Another one, Agent Dawson, mumbles, though she sounds less hostile.

"Why the hell would we need you?" Agent Miller questions with doubt and Eve's gaze hardens.

"The world is in pieces, just like the governments. Someone has to pick up the pieces and I happen to be available. The other Avengers are otherwise occupied, unless you have found a better replacement." Her voice is sharp, it almost silences him immediately. "We have to put the well being of the remaining people above our own ridiculous conflicts."

"Before I promise you anything, what are your suggestions and requests?" Everett Ross asks carefully and Eve turns back to him, sitting down on the chair opposite to him.

"The Accords will be immediately revoked. I agree that security is necessary, but not in this way. Steve Rogers, Clint Barton and I are no longer fugitives. A hundred Asgardians arrived yesterday and seek refuge, they lost their home planet. Thor Odinson did a lot to protect Earth, we will give him and his people a home in return. This includes Asgardians and other alien races. Do not attack their ship when they come to visit and enter our atmosphere, they're our friends and helped us a lot. These are my requirements."